Internal Audit Institutional Securities Group Associate
- Experience level
- Qualified accountant
Internal Audit is responsible for validating whether the firm operates in a controlled environment with appropriate risk-management processes. Auditors evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of the firm's internal controls using a risk-based methodology developed from professional auditing standards. Internal Audit assists in monitoring the firm's compliance with internal guidelines set for risk management and risk monitoring, as well as external rules and regulations governing the industry.
The team reports directly to the Board Audit Committee and helps verify whether the firm meets all of its fiduciary responsibilities to shareholders, while adhering to corporate-governance standards and legal and regulatory requirements.
Internal Audit is comprised of Business, Risk and Technology auditors. Business and Risk auditors focus on understanding the risks that the businesses face and the controls to mitigate those risks. Technology auditors focus on the application controls supporting the business processes, including systems development, application security and entitlements, production management, and technology governance. Both groups are responsible for understanding, analyzing and testing the controls to protect the franchise.
This role will form part of the global Institutional Securities Division (ISG) coverage team with colleagues in New York/ London/ Mumbai/ Hong Kong/Tokyo. Key aspects of the role will include partnering with the broader ISG coverage team to plan and execute global/ regional/ cross-divisional assurance activities as well as maintaining stakeholder relationships.
About Morgan Stanley
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence, and strong team ethic. We can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career – a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
What will you be doing?
The Auditor's responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Identify and assess areas of critical and high risks and evaluate the soundness of their controls as part of audits, continuous monitoring and closure verification work in order to formulate a point of view of the control environment
- Drive discussions and asks probing questions to further dialogue with senior business stakeholders to understand risk drivers, control state, and impact
- Plan and execute audits, continuous monitoring and closure verification work on sales, trading and support groups on time and within budgets. Provide guidance to junior staff as needed.
- Proactively monitors and address key metrics associated with audit plans, resources and issues and actions.
What we’re looking for:
- Basic understanding of the operation of financial markets, financial instruments and strategies
- Demonstrates critical thinking by gathering and synthesizing information to form a basis for analysis and formulate a viewpoint
- Communicates with impact, able to state risk and issues concisely and articulates impact in a structured manner both written and verbally
- Applies knowledge of key regulations to influence audit work and understands the impact to the business line
- Ability to work independently and with a team on assignments, while multi-tasking and meeting deadlines
- University / college degree or equivalent
Skills that will help you in the role:
- Audit experience, primarily in financial markets
- Basic understanding of key financial industry regulations and capital market related products in both fixed income and equities.
- Basic understanding of impact of counterparty risk associated with derivative transactions.
- Preferably ACA, CPA, CIA or other accounting qualification
- Preferably CFA, FRM or other financial/risk qualification
Flexible work statement:
Interested in flexible working opportunities? Morgan Stanley empowers employees to have greater freedom of choice through flexible working arrangements. Speak to our recruitment team to find out more.
Equal opportunities statement:
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximize their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives, and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing, and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.