Service Line (SL) Management Accountant - Finance - Newcastle
Job Description: SL Management Accountant
This role will assist in financial controlling within the centre working closely with a Service Line Finance Advisor (SLFA) in one of the UK FSO Service Line’s. Besides the SLFA this role will also interact with the wider Finance team, Service Line Operations team and help to develop a strong culture of financial awareness, commerciality and accountability. You will develop robust processes and implement and communicate these effectively; act as a role model within the team for more junior members and help to provide ownership and day to day responsibility of key tasks.
The role will require the individual to provide financial information, produce monthly accounts, annual budgets and forecasts while ensuring compliance with firm and business procedures and policies. A key part of the role will be presenting this information and analysis to the end user, highlighting variances and actions accordingly.
This role is in a fast-changing evolving environment with a number of changes taking place to the team’s processes and systems as the firm undertakes a Global Finance Transformation Programme. Therefore the ideal candidate will need to be flexible and have the ability to deal with change on an on-going basis.
Your key responsibilities
The successful candidate will:
- Reporting on weekly and monthly business trading, highlighting trends and business performance issues to Service Line leadership.
- Monitor and oversee a number ofkey processes, including; GDS reconciliations and balance sheet accruals.
- Support financial planning and budgeting processes including financial plan, forecasts, month end and year end closes.
- Ensure the month – end accounting process is carried out accurately and efficiently within a tight schedule. Reviewing variances to plan and prior year.
- Help to ensure processes are adhered to and becoming an expert and SME in controlling and reporting processes.
- Be a key contact for all Finance related queries
- Ensure the Finance teams processes are as efficient as possible whilst constantly looking to make improvements where possible
- Ensure procedures for accounts payable are adhered to and invoices are coded correctly
- Perform ad-hoc analysis and reporting as appropriate
- Build a network of contacts within the business and the wider Finance team
- Support the roll out of new initiatives, systems and processes
- Act as a role model, especially for any Finance Associates in the team
- Provide assistance to other Service Lines in Finance when you have capacity and cover when they are out of the office
- Be proactive in raising the profile of the Finance Executive role in the business
- Be proactive in continuing own professional development
Skills and attributes for success
The successful candidate will have:
- Part qualified in CIMA or ACCA
- Highly organised and structured in approach to work
- Experience of working with, helping to administer, tight processes
- Strong analytical skills with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Good team player with proven ability to build strong relationships with key individuals in the business
- Proactive, organised and self-sufficient working style with ability to prioritise and multitask
- Customer focused and responsive with good commercial acumen / judgement
- Professional, confident, credible communicator, including the ability to connect with a group eg giving a training session, presenting to a large meeting
- Robust, resilient, calm under pressure
- Strong computer skills (advanced Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Essbase, Outlook) with the ability to learn the firm’s systems and other data mining tools
- Receptive to change and flexible approach
To qualify for the role you must have
- Ability to apply knowledge or take a fresh perspective to solve complex problems and issues that arise
- Time and project management skills – able to plan and manage time effectively and flex up and down to deal with key priorities.
- Ability to interact well with people at all levels within the firm
- Strong IT skills – Word, Excel, Outlook, SharePoint
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Highly organised with a sound attention to detail and an ability to deliver to deadlines
- Part Qualified Accountant who is actively studying with a view to becoming fully qualified
- Seeking to progress their career to become a Finance Manager
Ideally, you’ll also have
- An enthusiastic, can do approach and be a strong team player
- The ability to juggle conflicting demands on time and prioritise effectively
- The ability to pre-empt deadlines and pursue colleagues for relevant information
- A desire to embrace and drive change whilst identifying and supporting process improvements and demonstrating best practice
- Ability to learn new processes and skills quickly
- The ability to work well unsupervised and use initiative where required
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you’ll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
- Support, coaching and feedback from some of the most engaging colleagues around
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we’re using the finance products, expertise and systems we’ve developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime.
Prior to finalizing your application, you will be asked to provide personal information across several dimensions of diversity and inclusiveness. The information you provide is kept entirely confidential and will not be used to evaluate your candidacy. We collect this data to help us analyse our recruitment process holistically and implement actions that promote diversity and inclusiveness. While optional, we encourage you to provide this information to hold us accountable towards our goal of building a better working world. Read more about our commitment to diversity & inclusiveness here. We ask because it matters!
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Build your legacy with us.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.