Corporate Tax Associate / Assistant Manager
About the firm and department
RSM is a leading provider of audit, tax and consulting services to middle market leaders, globally. With around 3,650 partners and staff in the UK and access to 48,000 people in over 120 countries across the RSM network, we can meet our clients’ needs wherever in the world they operate and offer brilliant career paths to our staff. Discover a culture that encourages individuality and celebrates fresh thinking.
Our Chelmsford Corporate Tax Team is growing and services clients across a great variety of industries and sectors, such as manufacturing, construction, healthcare and technology. We work with customers ranging from owner-managed businesses and middle market organisations to large multinational groups, inclusive of FTS250 companies, managing their tax affairs on the compliance side while also having the opportunity to manage any advisory matters which arise. We work closely with colleagues across the firm to provide a joined-up service to companies and groups of companies, combining expertise in accounting, audit and all relevant taxes.
About the role
This role would suit someone who is looking for an environment where they will have opportunity to accelerate their knowledge, skills and development in a creative, entrepreneurial and supportive team working with lots of fantastic clients along the way. Surrounded by talent, this role will genuinely give you an opportunity to drive your continuing professional development.
You will work on a varied portfolio of clients and groups, some with complex tax affairs, ensuring both excellent client service and identification of further work opportunities. The role will include actively undertaking the more complex compliance work, reviewing work undertaken by junior team members and working on a variety of advisory projects. In addition, you will have the opportunity to support senior staff by involvement in business development opportunities, proposals and networking events.
- Operating as a key part of the client service team for a variety of clients and therefore having regular dialogue with key members of the client’s team and working internally to plan the delivery of work.
- Delivering a high-quality corporation tax compliance service to your clients.
- Addressing any queries or enquiries regarding tax filings or payments from HMRC.
- Working closely with your colleagues to provide value adding, technically accurate, clear and concise tax advice covering a range of technical issues relevant to your clients business risks, challenges and opportunities. Such areas are likely to include: Loss relief, tax relief on interest, transfer pricing, R&D tax relief, capital allowances, group reorganisations, shareholder reorganisations, international tax matters and acquisitions & disposals.
- Building your external network of peers (client and non-client).
- Assisting colleagues in other departments to help them provide a high quality service to their clients and to identify tax related risks and opportunities for their clients. This will include working with our transactions team on tax due diligence projects and our restructuring advisory team on distress or insolvency cases.
- Maintaining a knowledge of the breadth of the firm’s capability as well as general business and economic factors relevant to our clients.
- Continually improving your skills, knowledge and capability for the benefit of our clients which you will be expected to embrace as part of your own development and promote by way of providing coaching and guidance to junior members of the team in a confident manner.
- Ensuring that the clients’ tax affairs comply with statutory requirements, and manage compliance work efficiently.
- Ensuring tax quality at all times by adhering to the Firm’s quality standards.
- Carrying out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job, the title of the role and its grading, as requested by the line manager, Head of Department or any Partner.
About the ideal candidate
The ideal candidate will be CTA/CA/ACA part- or fully- qualified, with experience of working within an Accountancy Practice. You will have a good level of exposure to Corporate Tax, and will be able to work well as part of a team . You will have strong personal skills, which will help communicating with both colleagues and clients.
- Good standard of education, particularly in Maths and English.
- ACA or CTA qualified or significant previous experience in a professional firm.
- Strong understanding of the corporate tax rules and 3 years practical experience of applying these and an eagerness to develop further.
- Proven experience in client handling and project management.
- Proven tax experience in producing high quality work within budget.
- Tax experience from a practice background is preferable.
Note: This job description reflects the present requirements of the role. As duties and responsibilities change, the job description will be reviewed and will be subject to amendment in consultation with the individual.
At RSM we work hard to create an environment where our people can make a difference - to themselves, their career, their teams, and to the success of our firm and clients. We support all our people to work flexibly, to manage their family and other responsibilities alongside their work commitments; we believe this is key to achieving an inspiring and fulfilling working environment.
Diversity and inclusion at RSM
At RSM, inclusion and diversity are central to our values. We have an authentic focus on intentional inclusion, enabling our people to feel they can bring their whole self to work and ensuring everyone feels supported, respected and confident to make a valuable contribution.
To find out more, please visit our Diversity and Inclusion page on our Careers Website.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.