Senior Manager/Director, Private Clients - London
Crowe is a leading national audit, tax, advisory and risk firm with global reach and local expertise. We are an independent member of Crowe Global, one of the top 10 accounting networks in the world, with access to more than 38,000 people in more than 145 countries and across 700+ offices globally.
We pride ourselves on looking after our people, whether you’re working in corporate tax, statutory audit or you’re a marketing or HR specialist, at Crowe we invest in our people to help them be the best they can be.
We understand that it is often the culture and values of a firm that are most important when looking for a new workplace, that’s why at Crowe our people-focused culture means we value new ideas and innovation, and welcome people who are committed to making a different by delivering excellent services to our people, clients and communities.
Our Tax team are looking for a Senior Manager or Director to join their exciting and growing department. This is a key role within the Private Client department, where you will be required to provide technical support and excellent client service, managing a portfolio of key clients and be instrumental in helping to grow the business.
Your role will a involve taking leadership within the manager team and with team members, and you should be able to successfully deal credibly and professionally with high net worth clients and other professional advisors. As such, excellent technical skills are crucial; equally crucial will be your ability to impart complex tax technical information to non-experts. Part of your role will be to mentor more junior staff and help them to develop their soft skills and provide technical training where needed.
- Review tax returns and computations in conjunction with agreed timescales; ensures the efficient and risk managed delivery of compliance.
- Supporting senior staff on tax planning and other ad hoc projects.
- Build good rapport with clients, manage and meet client expectations.
- Demonstrable technical knowledge in many areas of tax relevant to private clients, including those relating to international clients, property, income tax, capital gains tax, IHT, trusts and estates. In particular a good working knowledge of UK resident and non-domiciled tax matters, including offshore trusts and structures is essential, as is an overall awareness of UK and international taxation developments and legislation.
- Excellent report writing skills, with the ability to tailor the report to the reader, from the wealthy but not financially savvy client, to the experienced and well-read offshore trustee, and everything in between. There is also likely to be a need to produce clear, unambiguous, court-appropriate reports which may be required in financial remedy matters in relation to tax expert witness work on divorce and separation.
- Manage work in progress to ensure recoverability targets can be met and ensure that clients are provided with realistic fee quotes and updated on a regular basis.
- Respond quickly to clients, and anticipate client requests/needs, keeping clients informed of progress to all aspects of the service provided, and maintaining regular contact.
- Take steps to minimise professional risk, including the appropriate documentation of services provided and consulting with other senior team members and partners to ensure that second opinions are requested and considered and the appropriate review process is adhered to.
- Other ad hoc duties in line with business requirements.
The role would suit an experienced private client tax senior manager looking to move up to Director, or an established Director looking for a fresh challenge within a new and progressive environment.
- Ability to use own initiative and ensure that the clients’ needs are fully met.
- Display a flexible, professional approach and have the confidence and ability to establish credibility with Partners and clients.
- Ability to manage a small client portfolio, including high net worth individuals.
- CTA qualified with recent and relevant experience. STEP and ADIT qualification would also be helpful.
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to establish and maintain professional working relationships with clients, team members and intermediaries.
- Demonstrate a passion for delivering quality whilst being commercially minded.
- An organised approach and good record keeping skills.
- Maintain in depth, up to date knowledge of taxation.
- Encourage the personal development of all team members
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
You will ideally have experience in advising on a wide range of tax issues which should include the following areas:
- Leading delivery of the compliance with minimal Partner oversight on multiple projects.
- Seen by Partners as a trusted pair of hands.
- Taking responsibility for WIP control and billing and managing client expectations on fees.
- Meeting all deadlines and does not put off difficult tasks.
- Determines and explains roles, sets out expectations and responsibilities, empowers and motivates team members to deliver.
- Advanced understanding of tax matters relating to private clients, many with international interests.
- Known internally and externally for key specialisms. Building profile by speaking, articles etc.
- Confidently interacts with HMRC regarding complex issues on behalf of clients.
- Delivers advice in transactional, litigious or confrontational circumstances.
- Understands Clients’ attitudes to risk and ensures advice is communicated correctly and consistently.
- Working closely with Partners in making clients aware of relevant developments.
- Suggesting bespoke solutions to clients which meet their commercial and personal objectives.
- Recognising that tax advice is not always about technical analysis.
- Building others’ knowledge of the firm.
- Already has established relationships with good quality intermediaries who are in a position to refer work to the individual and capable of building similar new relationships.
- Motivating the team to follow the Firm’s policies and behaviours.
- Able to gain trust and respect of junior staff able to offer support when needed.
- Respected by Partners and other Managers for professional judgement and actively sought for opinion.
- Influences decision making and offers constructive suggestions to resolve operational problems.
- Able to deal with challenging situations and individuals.
Why choose Crowe?
Crowe is where talented people can realise their potential, are successful and enjoy what they do by making a positive difference to our clients, communities and each other.
Our vision is to be recognised as essential to the future success of our clients by helping them to answer tomorrow’s questions, and make smart decisions that have lasting value through the highest quality audit, tax, advisory and risk services.
We offer you an opportunity to continue your career and work for a firm that offers stability and knowledge. In addition you can work alongside experienced professionals who put the client at the heart of everything they do.
At Crowe, you will find the expertise, the resources and, above all, the commitment to help you build a satisfying and rewarding career. In return we can offer you continued career development, highly competitive salaries and flexible benefits. Plus an opportunity to work for a firm that truly values its people.
Crowe is committed to equal opportunity and diversity in recruitment and employment. We value the differences that a diverse workforce brings to our organisation and believe that diversity and inclusivity are key drivers of effectiveness and in providing our clients with a quality service.
Entry and progression within the firm is determined solely by the application of objective criteria, personal performance and merit.
We want to create the best environment for our staff to thrive. We recognise the importance of offering a flexible approach to our working environment and we would be happy to discuss with you further.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.