Accounting and Business Advisory Supervisor
Job DescriptionOverall job purpose
Included within the Accounting and Business Advisory (ABA) department sits our outsourcing and management accounts team where we are responsible for the preparation of management accounts for SME clients. We also help advise our clients and offer training sessions where required, so the successful candidate will need to be confident using Cloud accounting software, especially Xero and Sage 50.
Ideally, the successful candidate will be qualified to AAT and be able to demonstrate good experience in management accounts reporting.
- General bookkeeping for clients, including processing of data on Xero and Sage 50.
- Prepare management accounts to required standard to ensure files are prepared and documented with sufficient evidence for review.
- Preparation and review of VAT returns.
- Attend staff meeting and training as required.
- To ensure that jobs are completed to the highest standard, within the agreed internal budget for the job and to discuss all material points arising on the assignment with the manager / partner and client
- To plan assignments in accordance with the firm’s standard procedures and confirm arrangements with the client, including likely costs and billing arrangement
- To take the hands-on supervisory role on assignments as and when required
- Train clients on their accounts system
- Deals quickly and effectively with client queries (client focus)
- To brief junior staff on the client’s business and the pre-assignment instructions, to supervise and control the completion of work, and to undertake ‘on the job’ training and provide feedback where necessary
- To implement the firm’s review and completion procedures and to ensure that the client subsequently receives the final accounts, management letter and adjustment to opening balances on a timely basis
- To liaise with the client throughout the year and to practice the principles of excellent client service at all times
- To ensure that appropriate liaison takes place with all other departments, mainly ABA and tax, and that all potential client needs are identified and serviced accordingly
- To develop a detailed knowledge of the firm’s specialist services, actively look for opportunities to cross sell, and to undertake special work in response to client needs where appropriate
- To maintain an advanced level of technical knowledge through appropriate reading and courses, and to fulfil any development or training requirements
- To support the training and development of the staff within the ABA department
- To be involved in any other administrative departmental and office issues as deemed appropriate
Minimum QualificationsKey Performance Measures
- Delivery of high-quality management accounts and overall service to clients
- Deadlines are met
- Budgets achieved
- Adherence to the firm’s procedures
- Flexibility towards hours of work and tasks performed including assisting other staff e.g. dealing with urgent tasks at short notice when required
- To keep confidential any information obtained concerning the business affairs of the Firm, its staff and clients
- Portray the Firm in a professional manner through appearance, conduct and attitude
Personal and professional qualities
The role requires:
- A good understanding of UK financial reporting requirements
- An understanding of the following accounting packages is compulsory: Xero and Sage.
- Ability to demonstrate commercial awareness and to add value
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Well-developed people skills to relate to clients and colleagues
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Strong accounts production skills. Previous experience of CCH Accounts Production would be desirable, but not essential.
- Ability to prepare corporation tax computations would be advantageous. Previous experience of Alphatax would be desirable, but not essential.
- Minimum AAT qualified or qualified by experience.
At RSM we work hard to create an environment where our people can make a difference - to themselves, their career, their teams, and to the success of our firm and clients. We support all our people to work flexibly, to manage their family and other responsibilities alongside their work commitments; we believe this is key to achieving an inspiring and fulfilling working environment.
Diversity and Inclusion at RSM
At RSM, inclusion and diversity are central to our values. We have an authentic focus on intentional inclusion, enabling our people to feel they can bring their whole self to work and ensuring everyone feels supported, respected and confident to make a valuable contribution.
To find out more, please visit our Diversity and Inclusion page on our Careers Website.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.