Financial Reporting Manager / Assistant Manager - Business Services & Outsourcing - London
We are recruiting for either a Manager/Assistant Manager to join our Financial Reporting team in London.
Ideas | People | Trust
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions businesses need to navigate today’s changing world.
We’ll broaden your horizons
The Business Services and Outsourcing team are essential to meeting our clients' evolving requirements. As well as delivering long-term, sustainable value to businesses by providing a range of solutions such as accounting, payroll and compliance services, they also play a key role in tying together many of our services across BDO both domestically and internationally. By building deep and meaningful relationships with a range of clients from ambitious entrepreneurial SMEs to large multi-national groups, our BS&O team don’t just advise on their specific business challenges, they open doors for other teams to provide our firm’s wider service offering. To succeed in this agile environment, you’ll need to demonstrate excellent problem-solving skills and initiative. In return, you’ll have the opportunity for progression, and the chance to develop in one of the industry’s most exciting and varied roles.
We’ll help you succeed
This is your opportunity to join a fast growing team in a vibrant and modern office environment (although agile working has now been introduced) to hone your financial reporting skills and help to drive the development of the Financial Reporting (‘FR’) team.
As an FR Manager you will have responsibility for a portfolio of client work, including all aspects of service delivery from client take on to delivery of final reporting and client meetings, ensuring all assignments are delivered to a high quality and within agreed timescales. Portfolio is likely to include high growth clients backed by institutional investors (typically private equity), businesses going through structural or reporting framework change, or large multi-entity groups.
Another key aspect of the role will be taking responsibility for proactively contributing to the management of certain aspects of FR business development activity. This will include preparing pricing for new opportunities, production of proposals and collaborating on the day-to-day management of the pipeline of opportunities.
In addition to client facing work and business development activity you will also work to provide support to the rest of the management team on departmental issues including resourcing, coaching and feedback to more junior members of staff, ensuring compliance with the stream’s policies and procedures and the firm’s risk management procedures. The role is in a fast growing part of the business, and there is a key focus on succession, including the development of junior resource. You’ll also:
- Act as a key point of contact within the firm for a portfolio of clients. This includes responding quickly to, as well as anticipating, client requests/needs, keeping clients informed of progress in relation to all aspects of the service provided and maintaining regular contact with clients.
- Conduct rigorous project and financial management on all projects, completing projects within agreed timescales and raising issues with clients in a timely manner.
- Engage with clients directly on technical queries and challenges.
- Responsible for the financial management of, and maximising profitability from, a portfolio of clients.
- Ensure that the firm’s risk management and quality control procedures are adhered to at all times.
- Liaison with central departments on risk management, technical and other matters.
- Act as support in respect of sales and marketing for the FR team. This will include, developing, implementing and embedding operational processes and being responsible for “making things happen” in relation to business development.
- Act as support for the senior management team in the development of new business relationships and business proposals.
- Building internal and external relationships to identify new business and sales opportunities for new and existing clients.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of brochures, marketing campaigns, and the profile of the FR team throughout the firm.
- Contribute to the preparation of fee quotes for new work, bid documents and bid presentations.
- Collaborating on the day-to-day management of the pipeline, ensuring all opportunities are recorded and proactively followed up.
- Identify and recognise business and sales opportunities with new clients, and inform the senior management team as appropriate.
- Support the senior management team with the implementation and communication of any new business strategy for existing clients, target clients and the internal business.
Resource allocation, training and development
- Ensure assignments are staffed with the appropriate mix of knowledge and skills required.
- Recruit, retain, develop and motivate our employees, which includes participating in graduate and school leaver recruitment, ensuring job appraisal documentation is completed within deadlines and ensuring appropriate objectives and development plans are in place for counselees.
- Deliver training and support to our employees, using your experience to develop their capability, including identification of any knowledge gaps and helping to fill these.
- Work as part of management team with other managers within the business group (e.g. resource planning, performance rate meetings and efficiency gains)
- Report in to and work with the wider Manager team.
- Assist in the development and delivery of training of the FR team
- Act as a role model for the team
When you join us, we’ll make your growth our priority. If you can demonstrate the following skills, we can help you go far. We’re looking for someone with:
- Qualified ACA, ACCA or equivalent.
- Significant previous experience in an assistant manager role or experience in a manager role, including delivering statutory accounts preparation or audit services to large businesses.
- Excellent working knowledge of FRS 102 and related financial reporting requirements as well as significant previous experience preparing statutory accounts, large consolidations and cash flow statements.
- Significant previous experience in preparing multi-entity consolidations from raw information, including foreign exchange considerations, associates and joint ventures, non-controlling interests and businesses going through change (acquisitions, disposals, re-structures)
- Working knowledge of IFRSs as well as previous experience reconciling IFRS and UK GAAP results.
- Managing and developing staff, i.e. coordinating staff projects, training, mentoring, counselling, appraising, recruiting etc.
- Ability to prioritise and plan effectively, adopting a logical and methodical approach in order to meet tight deadlines.
- Proven experience in managing a wide portfolio of concurrent projects and project teams in a project management framework, ideally in a client-facing role.
- Working knowledge of financial products, firm services, issues regarding advice and regulation and compliance, including anti-money laundering.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft packages including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Business development experience - able to contribute to the identification and conversion of opportunities to sell work.
- Working knowledge of financial statements preparation software Caseware.
We’re in it together
At BDO, we believe that when our people feel valued and rewarded, their potential is unlimited. We offer highly competitive starting salaries and review renumeration packages regularly to ensure that our pay always positively reflects performance. As well offering support with tuition and professional qualifications, we also provide the following benefits, as standard:
- 25 days’ holiday;
- access to a personal pension scheme, with matched employer contributions;
- life assurance cover;
- and income protection insurance.
That’s not all. We understand that everyone is different so, we offer a range of voluntary benefits to suit every lifestyle. Our flexible benefits platform, Flexcel, means our people can choose from a range of tax efficient options to design a benefit package that best suits them. Through Flexcel, they can:
- buy up to ten days’ extra holiday;
- add on private medical, personal accident, dental insurance or travel insurance;
- enrol in our Bike to Work scheme;
- enjoy discounts off cinemas, dining, and gyms;
- receive an interest free season ticket loan or interest free graduate loan;
- access childcare vouchers;
- take an online health assessment and utilise our employee assistance programme.
We’re looking forward to the future
At BDO, we’re big enough to make the difference and collaborative enough to never lose sight of where we’re going. We know that it’s our people that make our success possible. Across our 17 UK locations, more than 5,000 of them work together to provide tax, audit, assurance and a range of advisory services that help our clients achieve their ambitious goals. Together, they’re fuelling Britain’s economic engine. Behind every complex client challenge and every untapped innovation, they’re there: ensuring we continue to find the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise. That’s why we’re always looking for ways to invest in our people. That means providing them with an environment where they can grow, learn, laugh and feel respected, at all times.
Are you ready to join them?
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.