APAC Public Policy Manager
At EY, you’ll have the chance to build a career as unique as you are, with the global scale, support, inclusive culture and technology to become the best version of you. And we’re counting on your unique voice and perspective to help EY become even better, too. Join us and build an exceptional experience for yourself, and a better working world for all.
During this period of immense change, this Public Policy role has never been more important. This role will seek to contribute to the debate on issues of high on the agenda of governments, regulators, investors and clients – such as the future of audit and corporate reporting, audit quality and governance of the new digital economy.
This is a replacement of an existing role that was located and focused on ASEAN. This is an Area role that provides wide exposure to the Public Policy agenda across more than 20 countries in the Asia-Pacific. It also has close connectivity with the Public Policy agenda in the Americas and EMEIA through a globally integrated EY network. The diversity of Public Policy priorities within Asia-Pacific, makes this role interesting and full of learning opportunities.
Your key responsibilities
This role will lead the EY Public Policy agenda across Asia-Pacific, while staying aligned with our global strategy. It is an Area function requiring coordination across service lines, functions and geographies.
Majority of time spent in this role will include monitoring of public policy, regulatory and geopolitical developments that affects EY and our clients; developing points of view on key public policy issues; engaging on productive debates either directly with stakeholders or other platforms such as roundtables and panels.
While the Public Policy function is highly valued within EY but unlike its client facing function, this role is unable to see immediate tangible results as its key responsibility of shaping public policies is a long-term strategic outcome. Thus, this individual must be extremely self-motivated to persevere in the cause.
Additionally, public policy changes can be difficult to influence, or reverse and policy contagion can happen unexpectedly fast. Hence, while this individual will try his or her utmost to shape public policies, he or she must also be able to react immediately to rapid public policy changes and leverage on global connectivity to support the Asia-Pacific member firms in dealing with changes, which can be drastic.
Being an Area role, this role requires flexibility in working with different cultures and time zones. Most work will be performed using technology-able communication tools and the individual has the flexibility to be based or working from another location. However, some travel around the area (when travel resumes post-pandemic) is required for about 3 to 5 times a year if face-to-face interaction is deemed critical. This role is also preferred to be based geographically favorably for close proximity to ASEAN.
Skills and attributes for success
To qualify for the role you must have
- Have a passion about public policy, regulation, geopolitics, sustainability topics
- Possess deep knowledge of legal and regulatory environment, company law, professional codes, audit regulation and the business of the accounting profession
- Have an ability to develop strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Have an interest in public policy globally, and not just in APAC
Ideally, you’ll also have
- Strong communication skills including being good at public speaking or engagement
- Project management skills and proficiency at driving projects to a close
- Experience working in a professional services firm
- Language capabilities in Bahasa Malaysia or Indonesia
What we look for
- Ability to think strategically and know when and what to report to leadership
- High energy individual who can lead and provide analytical points of view
- High level of diplomacy and sensitivity to social and cultural subtleties
- Ability to work with a virtual team, permanently
What we offer
As part of this role, you'll work in a highly integrated, global team with the opportunity and tools to grow, develop and drive your career forward. Here, you can combine global opportunity with flexible working. The EY benefits package goes above and beyond too, focusing on your physical, emotional, financial and social well-being. Your recruiter can talk to you about the benefits available in your country. Here’s a snapshot of what we offer:
- Continuous learning: You’ll develop the mindset and skills to navigate whatever comes next.
- Success as defined by you: We’ll provide the tools and flexibility, so you can make a meaningful impact, your way.
- Transformative leadership: We’ll give you the insights, coaching and confidence to be the leader the world needs.
- Diverse and inclusive culture: You’ll be embraced for who you are and empowered to use your voice to help others find theirs.
Please apply to this role only through the ‘Apply’ link (not through the local office). Your application will then be routed to the appropriate recruiting team.
The exceptional EY experience. It’s yours to build.
EY | Building a better working world
EY exists to build a better working world, helping to create long-term value for clients, people and society and build trust in the capital markets.
Enabled by data and technology, diverse EY teams in over 150 countries provide trust through assurance and help clients grow, transform and operate.
Working across assurance, consulting, law, strategy, tax and transactions, EY teams ask better questions to find new answers for the complex issues facing our world today.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.