Non-executive director/Trustee at The 1590 Trust
This is an opportunity to contribute to the community within North Yorkshire by becoming a Trustee and Academy Ambassador at The 1590 Trust. Board meetings are held at TS15 9ET when safe to do so.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at single-academy and multi-academy trusts (SATs and MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
Having expanded to support five primary-age schools, and one secondary-age school and 6th form, The 1590 Trust was previously called The Conyers Trust. The trust rebranded with a new vision and three-year plan, that better reflected the needs of the wider community they now covered, in September 2018. The trust employs 380 staff to support 2700 learners, across its schools, with a budget of approx. £13m. All of the trust schools are Ofsted rated Good, and the number of children receiving Free School Meals (FSM) - an indicator of deprivation - is above national averages at two of the Primary Schools, sitting at 25% and 40%. The secondary school also has a fifth of learners in receipt of FSM.
'The trust is a group of like-minded schools that share common values.
- are safe, secure, happy and caring
- promote inclusion and tolerance, and celebrate diversity
- develop independent, resilient, motivated learners
- foster enthusiasm, positivity and mutual respect
- work collaboratively and sit at the heart of their communities
- set high expectations and challenge all to achieve their potential Progress, standards and outcomes will be high.'
The board seeks up to four business leaders with board level experience in a mixture of the following:
- Strategic Leadership/Business Management
- Corporate/Charity Governance
- IT/Digital Transformation
- Financial management/accountability
The Trust will shortly review its strategic plans, so its timely for a new Trustee to join the Board. As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 - 24 months:
The Trust brought in its last school in Sept 2019, and a period of consolidation was planned. In the next strategic plan consideration will be given to future expansion.
Board governance in education is a strategic, 'eyes on, hands off' commitment which at The 1590 Trust includes one board meeting a month, with expected time commitment coming to 3-5 hours per month. Trustees may also be asked to join a sub-committee which may require additional hours.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role.
All roles are pro bono.
People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
The trust has also provided additional information at the apply link.
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.