Tax Services Manager - Financial Services Organization - State & Local Tax - WAM
At EY, you’ll have the chance to build a career as unique as you are, with the global scale, support, inclusive culture and technology to become the best version of you. And we’re counting on your unique voice and perspective to help EY become even better, too. Join us and build an exceptional experience for yourself, and a better working world for all.
TAX SERVICES MANAGER - FINANCIAL SERVICES ORGANIZATION - STATE & LOCAL TAX - WAM - (BOSTON, MA; NEW YORK, NY; HOBOKEN, NJ; CHARLOTTE, NC; CHICAGO, IL; HOUSTON, TX; DALLAS, TX; LOS ANGELES, CA; SAN FRANCISCO, CA)
EY is the only professional services firm with a separate business unit (“FSO”) that is dedicated to the financial services marketplace. Our FSO teams have been at the forefront of every event that has reshaped and redefined the financial services industry. If you have a passion for rallying together to solve the most complex challenges in the financial services industry, come join our dynamic FSO State and Local Tax team!
EY's State and Local (“SALT”) team is a growing practice within the organization, and you'll see that growth reflected in your career. As a tax manager, you’ll see firsthand the financial services industry as you are immersed in the evolving state and local tax environment through a diverse set of experiences in serving hedge fund and private equity clients. Having gained ample support and training from some of the most knowledgeable colleagues in the industry, there will be opportunities to progress to senior manager.
Your key responsibilities
It’s fair to say there’s no average day for a State and Local Tax manager — so you’re likely to spend your time on a diverse array of projects, responsibilities and tasks. We’ll look to you to support our senior managers through to our partners in providing tax services. You’re likely to balance your time between compliance and planning, focusing on and interacting directly with our clients. Whatever you’re working on, our clients will turn to you for up-to-the-minute state and local tax advice that they can always rely on. To make that happen, you’ll be working in a highly collaborative culture, alongside colleagues from different practices, where listening to and sharing information is an essential part of the role.
Skills and attributes for success
- Analyzing an evolving portfolio of complex tax operations to provide meaningful business insights
- Identifying potential opportunities and risks, and communicating these to our clients
- Learning and researching current market trends to maintain your credibility as a trusted advisor
- Developing clear, intelligent plans and approaches to improve our clients’ tax activities
- Researching our clients’ business operations and building long-lasting relationships to tailor your advice to their specific needs
- Working with a motivated team of professionals
- Building effective long-term relationships with our clients
- Maintaining your reputation in your field by constantly updating and sharing your technical and finest practice knowledge
- Managing, coaching and developing a team of tax professionals, reviewing work and helping to confirm they have the knowledge, tools and opportunities that they need to excel
To qualify for the role you must have
- A minimum of 3–4 years of relevant work experience in a professional services or professional tax organization
- A bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or a related discipline or a graduate degree in Tax or Law
- Certified public accountant or licensed attorney, or the ability to achieve either certification
- A thorough understanding of automated tax processing systems and laws within your area of technical professionalism
- Excellent collaboration and negotiation skills, and the confidence to challenge senior colleagues and stakeholders from a diverse range of backgrounds
- A commitment to continuing your learning
Ideally, you’ll also have
- A thorough understanding of state and local partnership tax
- Proficiency in Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience with return preparation software
- Experience in working on a variety of teams
- Ability to adapt your work style to work with both internal and client team members
What we look for
We’re interested in people with initiative who are not afraid to speak up, with a genuine desire to service clients in the financial services industry focused on state and local taxes. If you’re ready to further build on your reputation as a professional advisor, this role is for you.
What we offer
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. In addition, our Total Rewards package includes medical and dental coverage, pension and 401(k) plans, and a wide range of paid time off options. Under our flexible vacation policy, you’ll decide how much vacation time you need based on your own personal circumstances. You’ll also be granted time off for designated EY Paid Holidays, Winter/Summer breaks, Personal/Family Care, and other leaves of absence when needed to support your physical, financial, and emotional well-being.
- Continuous learning: You’ll develop the mindset and skills to navigate whatever comes next.
- Success as defined by you: We’ll provide the tools and flexibility, so you can make a meaningful impact, your way.
- Transformative leadership: We’ll give you the insights, coaching and confidence to be the leader the world needs.
- Diverse and inclusive culture: You’ll be embraced for who you are and empowered to use your voice to help others find theirs.
If you can demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
The exceptional EY experience. It’s yours to build.
EY | Building a better working world
EY exists to build a better working world, helping to create long-term value for clients, people and society and build trust in the capital markets.
Enabled by data and technology, diverse EY teams in over 150 countries provide trust through assurance and help clients grow, transform and operate.
Working across assurance, consulting, law, strategy, tax and transactions, EY teams ask better questions to find new answers for the complex issues facing our world today.
EY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer providing equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.