Management Accountant / Trainee Management Accountant
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic individual who wants to develop their career in an Acute Healthcare provider with strong track record of delivering five star quality of care for its patients.
We are looking to recruit a motivated and dynamic finance professional to join the Financial Management team.
St Helens and Knowsley Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust is wholly committed to the delivery of personal, high quality care and a first class patient experience for all those it serves. The Trust has a turnover of c.£290m and a workforce of c4,500 operating from two main sites in Whiston & St. Helens which have been through an extensive £330m development.
Please be aware, that we may close a vacancy earlier than stated, should a sufficient number of applications be received, you are therefore advised to apply at your earliest convenience.
Please note, interviews will include assessment tasks or a presentation. Interviews will take place week commencing 1st November.
Main duties of the job
Reporting to the Senior Management Accountant, you will provide financial advice and information to one of the Trusts Divisions. You will also support and work closely with the Divisional Management team to generate, analyse, monitor and report Divisional financial information and activity data to internal and external stakeholders.
You should be C.C.A.B. or CIMA qualified or in the final stage of your qualification (expected to qualify in the next 12 months), with financial management experience in a large organisation ideally with some knowledge of the NHS finance regime. You should have excellent interpersonal skills and possess strong I.T. skills using the Microsoft office suite.
We are pleased to also open this vacancy as an Annex 21 (training position), for candidates who are currently actively working towards a CCAB/CIMA and in the final stage of this. we will require proof place of learning on the day of your interview (you will not be interviewed without evidence).
Part-time hours will also be considered
St Helens & Knowsley Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust is the BEST acute Trusts in England for the THIRD year running!
The Trust is currently the only acute Trust in Cheshire and Merseyside, and is one of few in the entire country, to achieve the title of OUTSTANDING, rated by the Care Quality Commission.
We provide a full range of acute adult services to our local population of circa 350,000 and provide tertiary services across a much wider area in the North West, North Wales and Isle of Man. We are also a Major Trauma Unit and the Mersey Regional Burns Unit.
Our '5 Star Patient Care' strategy is at the heart of all that we do; supporting our vision to provide world class services for all our patients by getting it right for every patient, every time.
Job description Job responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities
- To establish and maintain strong working relationships with both key internal and external individuals to ensure effective working. The post holder will be expected to liaise with both internal departments and external bodies.
- Ensure the provision of high quality financial advice to budget holders and other non-finance managers is carried out to enable the delivery of the Trusts strategic, corporate financial objectives.
- To monitor financial performance against agreed budgets; analysing, reporting on variations and assist in formulating corrective actions. Proactively support the delivery of targets by sharing good practice, identifying areas for improvement and agreeing and monitoring action plans.
- To take the lead on ensuring accurate financial information is maintained for all budgets relating to the care group within the Trust.
- To ensure that external financial monitoring returns and reports are prepared and submitted in a timely and accurate manner and are analysed and interpreted where necessary.
- Attend the relevant divisional and specialty business meetings as Financial Representative and provide relevant financial support, advice and information.
- To maintain the integrity of the financial ledger and other financial systems to ensure that compliance with audit requirements is adhered to.
- Contribute to the formulation of the annual budget setting for the Trust and ensure budgets accurately reflect pressures.
- Promotion of greater financial management and financial control amongst the divisional management teams. Provide appropriate advice and support with the divisional structure to ensure all efforts are made to achieve financial stability, including the review and monitoring of establishments information
- To evaluate and monitor saving schemes including maintenance of detailed working papers to ensure accurate records are kept and all adjustments and transactions are processed appropriately.
Costing & Pricing
- Accurate costing of development and other operational change proposals as requested by divisional teams.
- Contribute to the annual reference cost process as and when necessary providing support to the cost accountant.
Management & Leadership
- Responsible for the production and monitoring of timely and accurate financial information and reports to strict deadlines, enabling the proactive management of budgets by budget holders.
- Contribute to the development of financial management information and communicate ideas and suggestions for departmental improvements to the Finance Business Partner and Head of Financial Management
- Allocate work to junior staff members within the department and provide training within own areas of work enabling them to develop in accordance with their KSF outline. Deputise for the Senior Management Accountant as required.
Education & Development
- To provide training to non-financial managers within the Trust on all matters relating to budgetary control and financial management; including effective use of information systems/reports.
Person Specification Other Essential
- Strong IT skills, and experience using Microsoft Office suite.
Knowledge and experience Essential
- Significant financial management experience Experience within a finance function of a large organisation Specialist Knowledge of Capital and Revenue budgets Staff management skills Knowledge of accountancy policies & procedures.
- NHS Finance Experience Experience of Contract Monitoring and Reporting
- CCAB Qualified or working towards (as per annex 21)
Applicants must have current UK professional registration.