Sr. Consultant-Beneficiary Transfer Specialist, Transfer Agency
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With over 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
Working with Us:
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why we are honored to receive the following awards in 2021:
- Gender Equality Index Member, Bloomberg
- Top Financial & Banking Company, Black EOE Journal, Hispanic Network Magazine, Professional WOMAN'S Magazine
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of America’s best banks and most sustainable companies! Build your career with us and apply today.
This senior role will serve as the Beneficiary Transfer Expert for all registration and processing related items associated with a decedent’s account. This individual will work directly with the surviving or named beneficiaries on required paperwork, available options as well as processing items. Additionally, the role is viewed as a key advisor to provide subject matter expertise across the operations team and assist with queries and development of procedures and training materials. The role requires a high touch level of service in addition to the technical competencies.
Responsible for daily execution and processing of all transfer upon death related tasks within required deadlines including re-registration, transfers, distributions, and account maintenance. Manage investor and beneficiary queries directly or through delegated instructions, provide necessary consultation and follow up on requests or outstanding items through various methods of communication. As a subject area expert, provides comprehensive, in-depth consulting and leadership to team and partners, as well as fund investors at a high technical level. This individual may need to manage or support large and/or complex projects tied to regulatory change, new business/product initiatives, or other strategic priorities.
- Possesses in-depth product knowledge of traditional IRAs, SEP/SIMPLE IRAs, 401k, trust accounts as well as different types of registered ownership, and familiarity with the probate process.
- Understands regulations tied to transfers upon death and required documentation, IRS rules on required mandatory distributions & impact for inherited IRA beneficiaries, year-end tax reporting.
- Operates independently; and can be trusted to carry out activities that are larger in scope, cross-functional and technically difficult
- Role is balanced between high level operational execution and development, and execution of strategic direction of business function activities
- Maintains regular contact with peers internal and external to firm, including regulators and professional organizations. Keeps abreast of emerging industry trends.
- Responsible for direct interaction with different committees and/or management
- Strategic in developing, implementing and administering programs within functional areas
- Remote work option available
- Seasoned professional with a College or University degree and/or relevant proven work experience is required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Client servicing skills with a high degree of empathy and patience
- Collaborative and able to partner effectively with others
- Transfer agency knowledge and experience
- Analytical ability to comprehend and apply highly technical rules or concepts
- Prior experience utilizing work flow tools and document imaging systems
- Proficiency with Microsoft office tools such as Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook and Teams.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.