Sr. Tax Administrator
Senior Tax Administrator, Fiduciary Income Tax Services – Chicago or Tempe
The Global Client Tax Services Group provides tax preparation and reporting services to affluent individuals and families, foundations, endowments, estates and corporations. This position is responsible for preparing tax returns including 1041s for trusts and estates and 1099s for agencies and IRAs. You will interact with trust administrators, clients, legal and tax professionals, colleagues, and tax authorities on matters related to federal and state fiduciary income taxes. You may review tax returns prepared by others and conduct training courses.
- Manage an account load requiring the review of trust documents and transactions, the preparation and year-round maintenance of federal and state tax returns and forms (e.g., 1041, 1099, 5498, 3520) and estimated taxes for trust accounts.
- Interact with clients and their advisors, including personal trust administrators, attorneys, and accountants.
- Prepare and consult on tax products, compliance issues, and planning and research projects.
- Assist in the development of department policies and procedures based on knowledge of industry best practices, the regulatory environment, client expectations and evolving trends.
- Provide solutions to complex tax-related problems. These solutions often require significant knowledge of accounting and tax conventions, as well as quantitative analysis.
Knowledge and Skills
- Extensive knowledge of fiduciary taxation, including its relationship to Generation-Skipping Transfer Tax (GSTT), estate tax, personal tax, and partnership (pass-through) reporting. This knowledge should be enhanced with an understanding of ESBTs, QSSTs, unitrusts, DNI, TAI, as well as state trust taxation.
- Creative problem-solver that operates within applicable regulations
- Skillful communicator in every medium
- Work both independently and as part of a team with professionals at all levels
- Intellectual curiosity, initiative, personal organization, motivation, and ownership of one’s work
- Share and collaborate effectively with others
- 5+ years of fiduciary tax experience preferred (minimum of three years is required)
- CPA, Enrolled Agent or Master of Science in Taxation (MST) candidates are preferred
- Experience with Thomson ONESOURCE and/or CCH ProSystem fx Tax is a plus
- Experience in IRS audits is a plus
- Public accounting experience is a plus
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With over 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
Working with Us:
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why we are honored to receive the following awards in 2021:
- Gender Equality Index Member, Bloomberg
- Top Financial & Banking Company, Black EOE Journal, Hispanic Network Magazine, Professional WOMAN'S Magazine
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of America’s best banks and most sustainable companies! Build your career with us and apply today.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.