An excellent opportunity has arisen to join our accounts team as an Assistant Accountant based in our Derby office
Haines Watts is a Top 15 National Chartered Accountancy Practice, advising over 35,000 business owners around the UK; providing over 100 specialist services, which gives our clients access to a huge amount of business expertise and knowledge. Haines Watts is recognised as one of the Top 10 Accountancy firms and advisory practices to work for by Best Companies.
An Assistant Accountant role in our team will need to be structured, organised and have a flair for work of a technical nature. The role requires someone who has a high attention to detail and with the ability to concentrate and gather facts and information to perform a variety of assignments.
You should have good clear communication skills both written and oral along with an enthusiastic, inquisitive and quick to learn attitude. You should relish constructive feedback and act upon it. Consistency and the ability to tie up loose ends and finish a job are important along with the ability to understand the wider client objective. You should be able to work well within a team environment and have the ability to work well under pressure to ensure deadlines are being met.
Experience with using Iris, Sage, Xero and QuickBooks is preferred but not essential.
Job Description: Assistant Accountant
Reporting to a senior member of staff, the responsibilities of the role will include:
- Produce an accounts working file in line with Haines Watts standards;
- Produce an accounts summary and list of discussion points for the manager;
- Work within a budget agreed at the planning stage;
- Prepare VAT returns for a number of clients, managing the requests for information and submission of returns;
- To professionally represent the firm and its interests in dealings with clients and other professionals;
- To attend training to further develop and maintain your technical skills;
- To achieve good passes with all professional and advance examinations, where applicable;
- To plan and control your professional work for the firm's clients within the firm's standard procedures. You will be able to identify basic planning opportunities;
- To identify and act upon any opportunities you see within the professional work you do to sell more services to existing and prospective clients;
- To have and maintain a working knowledge of the computer-based programs that you will be required to use to undertake your job and will report any requirements for assistance or training to your line manager;
- You will keep up to date with internal policies, procedures and announcements;
- Prior knowledge of producing self-assessment tax returns would be an advantage.
You may be asked to be involved with other tasks, as required and understand that this job description is not an exhaustive list of what is required and may be changed from time to time.
- Develop a team atmosphere through hard work, calmness, patience and consistency.
- Confident in front of clients and others.
- Retains a formal and professional manner, reflects on difficult situations and stands back from people and remains unemotional in order to resolve problems.
- Considers problems as a challenge.
- Adopts a calm approach and makes time for people.
- Takes ownership for managing own development, seeks extra responsibility, striving to always go the extra mile, preparing well ahead of appraisal meetings.
- Has an eye for detail, being consistent in approach, incorporating checks to ensure accuracy, standing back from the detail ensures all tasks are completed to a high standard.
- Able to juggle a number of jobs, whilst demonstrating excellent time management skills to ensure all deadlines and expectations are met.
- Be prepared for meetings, communicates with line manager regularly, listens and takes on board views of others, is proactive, ensures that tasks are followed through, loose ends are tied up and the job is completed.
- Keeps systems and procedures up to date.
Salary dependent on experience and training. Flexible benefits - self service benefits platform
To apply please submit your application, including your full CV.