Finance - GL - Assistant Manager
GL Supervising Associate
The GL Supervising Associate is a member of a high performing and mixed rank team led by the Country Accounting Lead and reports into the GL/AP Manager.
This role is part of the Accounting & Controlling team, which supports the wider business by ensuring the accuracy of financial transactions and journals within the General Ledger, assisting with financial / ledger analysis, managing risk through effective implementation and monitoring of financial controls, ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements / Firm policy, and driving quality, consistency and efficiency across internal accounting processes.
The GL Supervising Associate:
- has overall responsibility for maintenance of the General Ledger and plays a key role in the effective management of the GL.
- will play a key role in resolving queries and being an escalation point for both onshore EY staff and offshore teams to ensure errors that may otherwise result in under/over statement of financial records are identified, thereby allowing the business to support accurate financial reporting.
- will provide transactional processing expertise, operational support, advice and insights across several areas including GL journals, vendor payables, staff expenses compliance, AMEX administration, accounts receivable and VAT accounting;
- acts as a key point of contact for financial transactions with other EY firms in the Global EY network;
- partner with offshore teams, being an escalation point and holding them accountable for high levels of service delivery; and
- assist with the design and implementation of appropriate financial processes and controls;
Your key responsibilities
- Be part of a high performing team and manage workload efficiently across resources
- Mentor, train and provide work direction to staff as needed
- Coach/Problem solve with more junior members to help develop their skills through job shadowing, advising, informal training
- Drive continuous improvement initiatives and proactively seek improvements
- Responsible for a timely and accurate reporting for the period-end close, maintaining the integrity of the balance sheet accounts
- Oversee the execution and completion of Balance sheet reconciliations
- Responsible for Treasury and Bank compliance requirements
- Review period end close reporting
- Key contact for the business for on coding / journal requests and ledger analysis
- Preparation of management accounts (including review of the variance analysis)
- Act as a first level of escalation for resolution of reconciliation issues from the offshore GL team
- Oversee payroll execution to record and distribute correct charges to the services lines and ensure accurate and timely billing to other EY member firms
- Oversee the work of the offshore GL team to ensure high quality of service and compliance to accounting policies
- Partnering with offshore teams and drive enhancement of existing controls to improve quality of service
- Monitor compliance of Vendor set up and maintenance, ensuring fraud prevention controls are operating effectively
- Run regulatory and management reports for ROI management as required
- Provide guidance on local accounting and regulatory policy to the business
Skills and attributes for success
- Inspiring trust and have a firm understanding of business drivers of client performance
- Critical thinking and problem solving, advising on potential outcomes and exhibiting exceptional technical skills
- Confident, with a proven ability to challenge at all levels
- Strong analytical and numeracy skills, with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Vigorous time management skills and a proven ability to balance multiple priorities by considering risk, importance and level of urgency
- Strong ability to learn quickly, be proactive and share knowledge, building networks across the Finance function
- Excellent written, oral and virtual communication skills with the confidence to deliver presentations, training material and knowledge sharing. Adapting ability to deliver challenging messages and drive communication to a mutual understanding.
- Demonstrate the ability to become an effective change lead
- Experienced in coaching more junior team members through work-shadowing, answering questions, advice, etc
- Thrives in and adapts to a fast changing, growing and high activity environment
Qualifications and Experience
- Accounting degree and minimum three years’ experience in a similar role in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of Word and Excel
- Knowledge of SAP would be an advantage
- Used to working in a fast-paced environment with a strong work ethic
- Desire to thrive in and adapt to a fast changing and high activity environment
- Innovative, confident and creative thinker with ability to make quick decisions
- The ability to think on your feet, use initiative and judgement to make informed decisions
What we look for
You will be an experienced Trusted Business Advisor with a passion for providing exceptional client service to your stakeholders whilst maintaining high levels of customer service for internal stakeholders.
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you’ll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
- Support, coaching and feedback from some of the most engaging colleagues around
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
EY is committed to be an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.