Government and Public Sector - Senior - Finance - McLean, VA
At EY, you’ll have the chance to build a career as unique as you are, with the global scale, support, inclusive culture, and technology to become the best version of you. And we’re counting on your unique voice and perspective to help EY become even better, too. Join us and build an exceptional experience for yourself, and a better working world for all.
From strategy to execution, the Government & Public Sector (GPS) practice of Ernst & Young LLP provides a full range of consulting and audit services to help our Federal, State, Local and Education clients implement new ideas to help achieve their mission outcomes. We deliver real change and measurable results through our diverse, high-performing teams, quality work at the highest professional standards, operational know-how from across our global organization, and creative and bold ideas that drive innovation. We enable our government clients to achieve their mission of protecting the nation and serving the people; increasing public safety; improving healthcare for our military, veterans, and citizens; delivering essential public services; and helping those in need. EY is ready to help our government build a better working world.
Various macroeconomic and budget-related challenges are hampering effective public financial management. To address these challenges, governments are introducing reforms to measure the effectiveness and efficiency of expenditure and to improve fiscal transparency. As part of our US Government & Public Sector (GPS) team, you will join a talented group of professionals to help federal, state, and local government and public sector organizations improve planning, budgetary and financial performance, and meet public transparency and accountability requirements.
Your key responsibilities
As one of our finance professionals, you’ll help crucial government departments and agencies continuously achieve and sustain performance improvement in a rapidly changing environment. Working in multidisciplinary teams, often directly with leaders, you’ll bring diverse perspectives to every challenge. We'll help you achieve your potential by supporting your professional development and by providing you with opportunities to build your skills in budget and cost optimization. Key responsibilities of the position include:
- Establishing and maintaining internal and external relationships
- Developing reports, dashboards, and schedules for the client and other parties
- Communicating and updating the management team on progress made
- Demonstrating flexibility when it comes to engagement needs
- Meeting firm utilization targets
- Guiding junior staff, reviewing their work, and providing performance feedback
- Supporting people-related initiatives, including recruiting events and interview nights
- Staying current on CPE requirements and continuously improving technical skills
Skills and attributes for success
- Consistently deliver quality client services
- Monitor progress, manage risk and keep key stakeholders informed about progress and expected outcomes
- Stay abreast of current business and industry trends relevant to the client's business
- Establish relationships with client personnel at appropriate levels
- Demonstrate technical capabilities and professional knowledge; demonstrate the ability to assimilate new knowledge
To qualify for the role you must have
- A bachelor’s degree and approximately two years of relevant work experience; or a master’s degree with an emphasis on Finance, Accounting, or other related field and approximately one to two years of relevant work experience
- At least one year of experience preparing written or verbal materials, leading a team, and providing formal feedback
- Knowledge and experience working for a federal or state agency in the following areas:
- Cost accounting, cost management, or managerial accounting
- Cost analysis and cost modeling
- Cost optimization
- Activity-based costing
- Cost-benefit analysis, business case analysis
- Cost studies
- Performance measurement or performance management
- Performance metrics and measures development
- Benchmarking and gap analysis
- Cost reduction or cost-efficiency
- Business performance reporting
- Balanced scorecard
- Federal budget process
- Planning, programming, budgeting, and execution (PPBE)
- ERP systems, consolidation tools, and Reporting/BI platforms
- Ability to collaborate with clients and identify engagement follow-on opportunities
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a [secret/public trust] clearance or higher.
- The EY Government and Public Sector Practice’s staffing model is to assign resources to projects aligned to the office within the metropolitan area you have been hired; however, in certain circumstances, travel may be required within and/or beyond your geographic region based on client and project needs. For roles within the federal practice, the flexibility to travel up to approximately 30% is preferred. Within the state, local and education practice, the flexibility to travel up to approximately 80% is preferred.
Ideally, you'll also have
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified Defense Financial Manager (CDFM)
- Certified Government Financial Manager (CGFM)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
What we look for
At EY, we know it’s your point of view, energy, and enthusiasm that make the difference. Top performers have experience delivering against project plans on large, complex engagements from analysis through implementation. They have experience with federal or state agencies in cost and performance management, often gained by working in a Big Four global management consulting firm or a blue-chip company focused on the government and the public sector.
What we offer
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. In addition, our Total Rewards package includes medical and dental coverage, pension and 401(k) plans, and a wide range of paid time off options. Under our flexible vacation policy, you’ll decide how much vacation time you need based on your own personal circumstances. You’ll also be granted time off for designated EY Paid Holidays, Winter/Summer breaks, Personal/Family Care, and other leaves of absence when needed to support your physical, financial, and emotional well-being.
- Continuous learning: You’ll develop the mindset and skills to navigate whatever comes next.
- Success as defined by you: We’ll provide the tools and flexibility, so you can make a meaningful impact, your way.
- Transformative leadership: We’ll give you the insights, coaching, and confidence to be the leader the world needs.
- Diverse and inclusive culture: You’ll be embraced for who you are and empowered to use your voice to help others find theirs.
If you can demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
The exceptional EY experience. It’s yours to build.
EY | Building a better working world
EY exists to build a better working world, helping to create long-term value for clients, people, and society and build trust in the capital markets.
Enabled by data and technology, diverse EY teams in over 150 countries provide trust through assurance and help clients grow, transform and operate.
Working across assurance, consulting, law, strategy, tax, and transactions, EY teams ask better questions to find new answers for the complex issues facing our world today.
EY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer providing equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.