Controller - Government & Public Sector (Washington DC)
At EY, you’ll have the chance to build a career as unique as you are, with the global scale, support, inclusive culture and technology to become the best version of you. And we’re counting on your unique voice and perspective to help EY become even better, too. Join us and build an exceptional experience for yourself, and a better working world for all.
The Government and Public Sector (“GPS”) Controller will report to the GPS CFO with alignment to the US Firm Controlling Function.
In this role you’ll be responsible for the oversight, management, and operations of the Government and Public Sector (GPS) Accounting team and related business systems of GPS by ensuring adherence to proper internal controls, in addition to the development and implementation of related policies and procedures that are compliant with GAAP, DFARS business systems requirements, and appropriately aligned to the management reporting needs of the business.
Your key responsibilities
- Play a leading role, working with EY Firm leadership and consultants in ensuring the successful implementation of Deltek Costpoint
- Participate in external audits with outside independent auditors and regulatory oversight agencies (e.g., DCAA, DCMA), and oversee preparation of items that auditors require
- Lead month end close process
- Review monthly journal entries and complex account reconciliations
- Lead preparation and analysis of all internal financial and external regulatory reporting, including but not limited to profit-and-loss statements, cash reports, and indirect rate performance reports
- Support financial due diligence for acquisitions
- Responsible for hiring, training and retaining skilled accounting staff
- A minimum of 8-10 years of relevant (e.g., accounting, finance) experience in a government contracting environment
- A minimum of 3-5 years working as a controller, or equivalent, managing the day to day operations of the accounting function at a government contractor
- Extensive experience accounting using Deltek Costpoint
- Experience implementing Deltek Costpoint is a plus
- Experience leading a government contractor during accounting system audit by DCAA
- Experience supporting preparation of incurred cost submissions
- Experience interfacing with and supporting development of forward pricing rates
- Experience supporting the preparation of the annual budget as well as monthly, annual and multi-year business forecasts
- Experience building, training and managing internal accounting functions
- Experience in project financial management (to include budgeting, reporting and analysis, and revenue recognition) preferably in a project-based organization, utilizing Costpoint
- Experience implementing and enhancing accounting processes and procedures
Skills and attributes for success
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field; advanced degree or CPA preferred
- Extensive, in-depth knowledge of Deltek Costpoint
- Extensive knowledge of FAR Part 31 and Cost Accounting Standards (CAS) and other regulatory requirements impacting the accounting system
- Experienced leader with high degree of knowledge of general accounting theories, principles, and practices with a solid knowledge of general budgeting principles and practices
- High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, Word, Power Point
- Solid understanding of CAS-compliance in indirect rate structures
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills which allow for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management and external auditors
- Ability to obtain a government security clearance
- Understanding of competitive pricing practices is a plus
- Working knowledge of SAP is a plus
What we offer
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. In addition, our Total Rewards package includes medical and dental coverage, pension and 401(k) plans, and a wide range of paid time off options. Under our flexible vacation policy, you’ll decide how much vacation time you need based on your own personal circumstances. You’ll also be granted time off for designated EY Paid Holidays, Winter/Summer breaks, Personal/Family Care, and other leaves of absence when needed to support your physical, financial, and emotional well-being.
- Continuous learning: You’ll develop the mindset and skills to navigate whatever comes next.
- Success as defined by you: We’ll provide the tools and flexibility, so you can make a meaningful impact, your way.
- Transformative leadership: We’ll give you the insights, coaching and confidence to be the leader the world needs.
- Diverse and inclusive culture: You’ll be embraced for who you are and empowered to use your voice to help others find theirs.
If you can demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
The exceptional EY experience. It’s yours to build.
EY | Building a better working world
EY exists to build a better working world, helping to create long-term value for clients, people and society and build trust in the capital markets.
Enabled by data and technology, diverse EY teams in over 150 countries provide trust through assurance and help clients grow, transform and operate.
Working across assurance, consulting, law, strategy, tax and transactions, EY teams ask better questions to find new answers for the complex issues facing our world today.
EY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer providing equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.