Who we are
Northern Trust is a preeminent global financial institution that provides asset servicing, investment management and wealth management services for institutions, high-net-worth individuals and families. For more than 130 years, our success has been anchored in one purpose: to serve as our clients’ most trusted financial partner, guarding and growing their assets as though they are our own. Our market-leading technological capabilities—spanning from artificial intelligence for currency management, blockchain for fund administration and cloud-based solutions to deliver personalized wealth management services—allow us to deliver the highest level of service to our clients with speed and precision.
What we do
Northern Trust’s international business has grown dramatically over the last decade. Some of our largest clients are located in Asia and Australia, which represents a rapidly growing client base for the company. Our intricate understanding of the region allows us to provide unique insights and strategic perspectives to our clients. Currently, we have client offices in Beijing, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo and Kuala Lumpur.
Northern Trust is proud to serve the Australian community with global capabilities, meaningful insights and exceptional service. Institutional clients across Asia Pacific have relied on Northern Trust for effective solutions and ethical guidance across asset servicing and asset management since 1986.
This role forms a part of a regional Asset Management Compliance team operating in a successful international Asset Management business. It will offer excellent exposure to someone looking to develop their career in an asset management based compliance role. You will provide technical research and consultation to support compliance programs and activities in all of Northern’s international units but with particular focus on APAC and within a global framework. Acting as a partner to compliance team members and managers and staff in the business units throughout the APAC region, you will provide consultation and advice on regulatory matters, product governance and conduct monitoring.
This role will report to the Head of Asset Management Compliance APAC.
What you will do
- Providing technical research and consultation to support compliance programs and initiatives
- Being familiar with Northern’s strategy, businesses, clients and products in order to provide timely and accurate regulatory and compliance advice to business partners on regulatory requirements
- Support regulatory inquiries and examinations
- Assist in the development and maintenance of compliance frameworks and related policies and procedures
- Develop and implement training programs with subject matter experts, and Corporate Compliance
- Providing ad-hoc project support as required, and support senior members of the department in the identification, planning and execution of the department’s activities
- Provide back up support to the wider and compliance team as and when required, including guidelines monitoring and review of marketing materials
- Attendance and reporting to various committees
- Proven experience in advising and/or monitoring of asset management business
- Strong background in and understanding of investment management products and services with in depth understanding of securities, cash and derivatives market instruments
- Prior experience in the interpretation and analysis of complex investment management agreements, investment management guidelines, and industry standards
- Analytical ability to identify and understand problems and provide effective solutions
- Highly motivated individual who has a proven record of using initiative to resolve problems
- Ability to make decisions on their own and also to be a team player and effective communicator to ensure that issues are appropriately resolved
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Desire to stay in front of new business/regulatory developments
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills
- Working knowledge of International regulations e.g. MiFID II, UCITS, SEC, APAC regulators
- Working knowledge of cross-border marketing rules
As of June 30, 2021, Northern Trust Corporation had:
- $15.7 trillion in assets under custody/administration
- $12.2 trillion in assets under custody
- $1.5 trillion in assets under management
- $172 billion in banking assets
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018. In Australia, we are actively involved in many ways with both community and diversity organisations, which includes charity participation days. For families, we offer a very generous parental leave scheme, and all staff have access to subsidised health insurance if they choose.
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. Build your career with us!
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.