Tax School Leaver - Real Estate and Construction
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions businesses need to navigate today’s changing world.
We’ll broaden your horizons
Working hard and working together, our Tax team thrives on keeping busy. They service our clients around the world with everything from day-to-day compliance with tax authorities to advice on international tax to transaction support on mergers and acquisitions. That diversity of work requires a diversity of talents. Tax attracts specialists for the most technically complex challenges, versatile thinkers for large clients with varied problems and brilliant innovators who create tomorrow’s bespoke solutions. The graduate programme starts you off in compliance, immediately taking on important responsibilities including preparing corporate tax returns. You’ll take on more and more challenging work as you develop and will be able to specialise in a specific tax area or an audit group to really explore where your talents are most suited.
We’ll help you succeed
The Tax Apprenticeship Programme is your opportunity to combine work experience with achieving your professional qualifications. We’ll provide the training in skills, behaviours and professional knowledge you’ll need not just to pass your exams, but also to become an exceptional BDO advisor. Our pass results are often up to 10% above the national average. This is a unique opportunity to qualify in a working environment with a network of exceptional colleagues who will be invested in helping you achieve your full potential.
The salary for this role is £22,500 and your job title will be Tax Assistant.
Programme & Qualification
BDO offer the ACA CTA Joint Programme enabling you to become Associate Chartered Accountants (ACA) and Chartered Tax Advisors (CTA). You will gain two qualification from two institutes under a Level 7 apprenticeship. The ACA CTA Joint Programme gives you the opportunity to specialise in one of three areas – taxation of major corporates, owner-managed businesses or indirect tax. The programme offers a fast-track route to become a specialist in tax. The duration of this programme is 48 months.
Trainees can be involved in a variety of aspects of the client relationship reporting to the seniors and managers as part of the wider client service team. Their responsibilities will include the following:
- assisting with all aspects of our client take-on processes, including scoping and quoting for work, client ID and risk procedures, and drafting letters of engagement;
- tax compliance for a variety of entities such as UK and non-UK companies, partnerships, UK REITs, and property unit trusts/unitholders; and
- involvement with ad hoc tax advisory projects
- Preparation of engagement letters
- Undertaking procedures to comply with our client acceptance obligations
- Technical analysis of property documentation and construction information
- Preparation of capital allowances reports
- Visiting client properties to carry out on-site inspections and surveys
- Drafting letters and emails to clients
- Maintaining client files ensuring that all relevant documentation is filed appropriately
- Attending meetings with clients
- Liaising and meeting with lawyers and client project consultants to collate project information
- Researching relevant legislation and case law with regard to specific client situations
- Assisting with business development and marketing our services and preparing client proposals
- Other ad hoc requirements as may reasonably be required by line managers
- Successfully study towards your professional qualification and, where relevant, corresponding apprenticeship
When you join us
We understand that everyone learns in different ways and the same environment isn’t always suited to every task. We’ll help you deliver the best quality output by giving you choice and flexibility around how, when and where you work. When you need to work collaboratively, you’ll be able to work closely with colleagues, whether that’s in our offices, onsite with clients, or one of our brand-new hubs; when you need to focus, you’ll be able to work from home or in one of our quiet concentration spaces, using technology to stay connected with colleagues. We’ll provide the environment, digital tools and training to enable you to perform at your best, whatever the task in hand, for yourself, your team, and your clients.
When you join us, we’ll make your growth our priority. If you’re right for us, you’ll thrive in an environment built to help you succeed. We’re looking for someone with:
- Three A-levels or equivalent at A* to C excluding General Studies and Extended Projects (obtained or predicted)
- A 9–4 in Maths and English at GCSE or equivalent (we will also consider qualifications from outside the UK)
We’re in it together
At BDO, we believe that when our people feel valued and rewarded, their potential is unlimited. We offer highly competitive starting salaries and review remuneration packages regularly to ensure that our pay always positively reflects performance. As well as offering support with tuition and professional qualifications, we also provide the following core benefits:
- 25 days’ holiday;
- access to a Group Personal Pension Plan, with matched employer contributions;
- Life Assurance cover;
- Income Protection insurance;
That’s not all. We understand that everyone is different, so we offer a range of voluntary benefits to suit every lifestyle. Our flexible benefits platform, Flexcel, means our people can choose from a range of tax efficient options to design a benefit package that best suits them. Through Flexcel, they can:
- buy up to ten days’ extra holiday;
- add on Private Medical, Personal Accident, Dental or Travel Insurance; Home Technology
- enrol in our Bikes to Work scheme;
- enjoy discounts at cinemas, dining out, shopping and gyms through our Employee Discounts arrangement;
- receive an interest free season ticket loan or interest free graduate loan;
- access additional services like our financial wellbeing platform, online GP service or our Employee Assistance Programme
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.