Government and Public Sector - Manager - Finance - McLean, VA
At EY, you’ll have the chance to build a career as unique as you are, with the global scale, support, inclusive culture, and technology to become the best version of you. And we’re counting on your unique voice and perspective to help EY become even better, too. Join us and build an exceptional experience for yourself, and a better working world for all.
From strategy to execution, the Government & Public Sector (GPS) practice of Ernst & Young LLP provides a full range of consulting and audit services to help our Federal, State, Local and Education clients implement new ideas to help achieve their mission outcomes. We deliver real change and measurable results through our diverse, high-performing teams, quality work at the highest professional standards, operational know-how from across our global organization, and creative and bold ideas that drive innovation. We enable our government clients to achieve their mission of protecting the nation and serving the people; increasing public safety; improving healthcare for our military, veterans, and citizens; delivering essential public services; and helping those in need. EY is ready to help our government build a better working world.
Various macroeconomic and budget-related challenges are hampering effective public financial management. To address these challenges, governments are introducing reforms to measure the effectiveness and efficiency of expenditure and to improve fiscal transparency. As part of our US Government & Public Sector (GPS) team, you will join a talented group of professionals to help federal, state, and local government and public sector organizations improve planning, budgetary and financial performance, and meet public transparency and accountability requirements.
Your key responsibilities
As one of our finance advisors, you’ll help crucial government departments and agencies continuously achieve and sustain performance improvement in a rapidly changing environment. Working in multidisciplinary teams, often directly with leaders, you’ll bring diverse perspectives to every challenge. We'll help you achieve your potential by supporting your professional development and by providing you with opportunities to build your skills in budget and cost optimization. Key responsibilities of the position include:
- Establishing, maintaining, and strengthening internal and external relationships
- Creating innovative insights for clients and contributing to thought leadership
- Adapting methods and practices to improve operational efficiency and to fit team needs
- Helping to manage the financial aspects of engagements
- Identifying and communicating issues and risks to project leaders
- Driving projects to completion and confirming that work is of a high quality
- Developing people and creating a positive learning culture through supervision, coaching, mentoring, and performance management activities
Skills and attributes for success
- Understand clients’ cultures and operations to influence important decisions on finance programs and processes
- Leverage industry-leading practices and trends to provide valuable insights to clients
- Assist with cultivating and managing business development opportunities. Understand EY and its service lines and actively assess/present ways to serve clients.
- Develop and maintain long-term client relationships and networks. Develop relationships with team members across all EY practices to serve client needs.
To qualify for the role you must have
- A bachelor’s degree and approximately five years of relevant work experience; or a master's degree with an emphasis on Organizational Development or other related field and approximately four years of relevant work experience
- Minimum of five years relevant experience in federal financial management, risk management, leading standards (e.g., SFFAS, OMB), preparing written or verbal materials, presenting project results to clients, leading a team, providing formal feedback
- Knowledge and experience working for a federal or state agency in the following areas:
Cost accounting, cost management, or managerial accounting
Cost analysis and cost modeling
Cost-benefit analysis, business case analysis
Performance measurement or performance management
Performance metrics and measures development
Benchmarking and gap analysis
Cost reduction or cost-efficiency
Business performance reporting
Federal budget process
Planning, programming, budgeting, and execution (PPBE)
ERP systems, consolidation tools, and Reporting/BI platforms
- Demonstrated experience in business development
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a [secret/public trust] clearance or higher.
The EY Government and Public Sector Practice’s staffing model is to assign resources to projects aligned to the office within the metropolitan area you have been hired; however, in certain circumstances, travel may be required within and/or beyond your geographic region based on client and project needs. For roles within the federal practice, the flexibility to travel up to approximately 30% is preferred. Within the state, local and education practice, the flexibility to travel up to approximately 80% is preferred.
Ideally, you'll also have
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified Defense Financial Manager (CDFM)
- Certified Government Financial Manager (CGFM)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
What we look for
At EY, we know it’s your point of view, energy, and enthusiasm that make the difference. Top performers execute project plans on large, complex engagements from analysis through implementation, as a workstream lead supervising junior staff. They consistently collaborate with the client and their teams to deliver quality work products, share thought leadership, and identify follow-on work and new business opportunities. They have experience with federal and state agencies in budget and cost optimization, often gained by working in a Big Four global management consulting firm or a blue-chip company focused on the government and the public sector.
What we offer
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. In addition, our Total Rewards package includes medical and dental coverage, pension and 401(k) plans, and a wide range of paid time off options. Under our flexible vacation policy, you’ll decide how much vacation time you need based on your own personal circumstances. You’ll also be granted time off for designated EY Paid Holidays, Winter/Summer breaks, Personal/Family Care, and other leaves of absence when needed to support your physical, financial, and emotional well-being.
- Continuous learning: You’ll develop the mindset and skills to navigate whatever comes next.
- Success as defined by you: We’ll provide the tools and flexibility, so you can make a meaningful impact, your way.
- Transformative leadership: We’ll give you the insights, coaching, and confidence to be the leader the world needs.
- Diverse and inclusive culture: You’ll be embraced for who you are and empowered to use your voice to help others find theirs.
If you can demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
The exceptional EY experience. It’s yours to build.
EY | Building a better working world
EY exists to build a better working world, helping to create long-term value for clients, people, and society and build trust in the capital markets.
Enabled by data and technology, diverse EY teams in over 150 countries provide trust through assurance and help clients grow, transform and operate.
Working across assurance, consulting, law, strategy, tax, and transactions, EY teams ask better questions to find new answers for the complex issues facing our world today.
EY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer providing equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.