We’ll broaden your horizons
The work of our Audit teams is essential, not just to BDO, but to the whole economy. Working within a range of organisations, from start-ups to FTSE350 companies, our Audit team challenges the accuracy of our clients’ financial statements for stakeholders, ensuring the stability and authenticity of the financial market and ensuring the delivery of high quality audits.
Each day will be different; with some time being spent at the premises of entities you are auditing talking to the different functions to understand their financial performance, business, culture and risks and some time spent collaborating with your wider team in a virtual or office environment. You’ll work as part of a collaborative team where you’ll have all the support you need to acquire new skills and achieve your potential. You’ll also be encouraged to share your ideas and the fresh perspectives you bring. The graduate programme offers unparalleled exposure to a range of organisations, as well as an opportunity to build a strong technical foundation in accountancy and finance while gaining vital business and commercial skills. As your career with the firm progresses you will have the opportunity to broaden your horizons and make the most of working with our talented teams outside of audit and our international network in order to set you up for the best possible future career in accountancy.
We’ll help you succeed
The three-year Audit Graduate Programme is your opportunity to obtain a unique insight into a wide range of businesses, get real experience on real projects and achieve a recognised professional qualification. We’ll cover your exam fees and give you the study leave and extra training you’ll need to pass them while you balance your own workload. That training isn’t just about passing the exams, you’ll learn a range of personal, management and client-related skills that will help you become a full rounded BDO advisor and achieve your full potential.
The London Audit Group works across a large range of industries and sectors and has built a strong reputation in the market for providing deep sector specialism. As you begin your Audit journey with us, we will support you to develop your technical Audit skills across a breadth of organisations, industries and sectors prior to enabling you to elect a sector specialism later in your trainee agreement that is best suited to your career aspirations.
The salary for this role is £28,000 and your job title will be Audit Trainee.
Programme & Qualification
BDO offer the globally recognised Association of Chartered Accountants (ACA) qualification as a Level 7 apprenticeship programme, enabling individuals to become qualified chartered accountants and member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW). The ACA qualification and apprenticeship provides a broad range of accounting, finance and business skills. It opens a wealth of opportunities. The duration of this programme is 36 months.
- Assist within the wider team by seeking audit evidence necessary to support opinions given
- Prepare analysis of accounting data from entities’ books and records
- Ensure audit files include all relevant documentation which has been checked and is considered appropriate and sufficient to support the audit opinion
- Active engagement with the staff of the companies being audited in the gathering of appropriate audit evidence
- Active adherence to budgets and timetables, bringing matters to the attention of the senior or manager
- Involvement in the planning, execution and finalisation of the audit assignment supporting the Audit Seniors or Managers
- Using data analytics, including BDO’s proprietary tools in order to assist in the delivery of a quality audit
- Ensure compliance with internal (audit methodology and risk management) and external (regulatory) requirements
- Identify and understand the entities’ needs, including sometimes providing initial solutions to challenges, and communicating these needs and solutions to the Audit Senior or Manager
- Build professional relationships with the entities you are working with
- Carry out ad hoc assignments as may be reasonably required
- Undertake any training or development required
- Coaching and assisting more junior trainees on teams, both at entities’ premises and in the office
- Successfully study towards your professional qualification and, where relevant, corresponding apprenticeship
When you join us
We understand that everyone learns in different ways and the same environment isn’t always suited to every task. We’ll help you deliver the best quality output by giving you choice and flexibility around how, when and where you work. When you need to work collaboratively, you’ll be able to work closely with colleagues, whether that’s in our offices, onsite with clients, or one of our brand-new hubs; when you need to focus, you’ll be able to work from home or in one of our quiet concentration spaces, using technology to stay connected with colleagues. We’ll provide the environment, digital tools and training to enable you to perform at your best, whatever the task in hand, for yourself, your team, and your clients.
When you join us, we’ll make your growth our priority. If you’re right for us, you’ll thrive in an environment built to help you succeed. We’re looking for someone with:
- A 2:2 degree in any discipline (obtained or predicted)
- Three A-levels or equivalent at A* to C excluding General Studies and Extended Projects (obtained or predicted)
- A 9–4 in Maths and English at GCSE or equivalent (we will also consider qualifications from outside the UK)
We’re in it together
At BDO, we believe that when our people feel valued and rewarded, their potential is unlimited. We offer highly competitive starting salaries and review remuneration packages regularly to ensure that our pay always positively reflects performance. As well as offering support with tuition and professional qualifications, we also provide the following core benefits:
- 25 days’ holiday;
- access to a Group Personal Pension Plan, with matched employer contributions;
- Life Assurance cover;
- Income Protection insurance;
That’s not all. We understand that everyone is different, so we offer a range of voluntary benefits to suit every lifestyle. Our flexible benefits platform, Flexcel, means our people can choose from a range of tax efficient options to design a benefit package that best suits them. Through Flexcel, they can:
- buy up to ten days’ extra holiday;
- add on Private Medical, Personal Accident, Dental or Travel Insurance; Home Technology
- enrol in our Bikes to Work scheme;
- enjoy discounts at cinemas, dining out, shopping and gyms through our Employee Discounts arrangement;
- receive an interest free season ticket loan or interest free graduate loan;
- access additional services like our financial well being platform, online GP service or our Employee Assistance Programme