Operational Risk Associate
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Finance Division reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firms books and records, and by contributing to firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley?s various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley?s various businesses and its senior management team.
Financial Control Group (FCG)
The Global Corporate Controllers (GCC) is responsible for overseeing the accounting and financial and regulatory reporting for the Firm. FCG prepares external financial reports for public filings and regulators.
For internal reporting GCC, along with Financial Planning and Analysis (FPA), summarizes, plans and forecasts the organization's financial position, including income statements, balance sheets, and analyses of future revenues, expenses and earnings. GCC is comprised of Business Unit Controllers, Infrastructure Controllers, Accounting, Regulatory and Reporting groups, and Valuation Review.
The role will reside within the Finance Division, under the Finance Risk and Assurance (FinRiA) function. FinRiA is represented in our Glasgow, London, New York, Mumbai, Tokyo and Hong Kong offices performing an oversight, governance, execution and assurance role in relation to the Finance division in support of the Firm?s operational risk programs and objectives. The group interacts across all areas of Finance, Firm Operational Risk Department, the Front Office, Internal Audit as well as Operations.
This role will support all aspects of Finance owned operational risk data governance, reporting and analysis reporting to a Director in FinRiA Glasgow.
- Supporting senior management in terms of roll out of Firm mandated Risk programs and in establishment of appropriate governance framework
- Perform Finance operational risk reporting with focus on operational risk incidents and risk issues.
- Perform monitoring and quality assurance activities over operational risk incidents, issues and action plans logged in Firm risk tools.
- Perform data analysis for identification of thematic risk issues and escalate, suggest remediation as appropriate.
- Partner with colleagues and internal clients on various projects, for example improve the collection, monitoring and reporting of risks and key risk indicators.
- Participate in efforts for process standardization, short-term tactical improvements and longer term strategic initiatives including automation of reporting processes.
- Assist global colleagues in execution of various streams of operational risk related work (e.g. Risk and Control Self-Assessment (RCSA), Sarbanes-Oxley, Information Security, Business Continuity Planning).
The successful candidate?s key deliverables will include:-
- Member of the Global FinRiA team, contributing to the development, design and direction setting of the function and its work streams
- Managing the production of Finance operational risk reports and analysis of risk information and metrics including creation of production efficiencies through rationalisation and automation
- Performing value-add thematic analysis and quality assurance over operational risk data reported by Finance globally
- Assisting and supporting team members and global colleagues in development and automation where applicable of enhanced reporting and improved risk mitigation initiatives including key risk indicators
- Partnering with colleagues and internal clients on various risk related initiatives
- Ad hoc duties as required
- Strong appreciation of operational risk concepts,
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to work to and manage a team to deadlines,
- Committed and self-motivated individual who can demonstrate initiative & problem solving abilities
- Strong client and partner relationship abilities
- Analytical skills with a control focus and high regard for attention to detail
- Critical thinking in order to challenge processes, solve for ad hoc queries and creativity to suggest alternative approaches
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and ability to deal with colleagues/clients of all levels
- Strong MS office skills
- Previous Financial Services Finance experience or Accounting qualification (ACCA, ICAS, ICAEW, CIMA)
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.