Corporate Tax Manager
About the company and department
RSM is a leading provider of audit, tax and consulting services to middle market leaders, globally. With around 3,650 partners and staff in the UK and access to 48,000 people in over 120 countries across the RSM network, we can meet our clients’ needs wherever in the world they operate. Equally, as one of the world’s largest networks of audit, tax and consulting firms, we’ll help you reach your full potential.
As part of a National Corporate Tax service line and alongside strong local experts within the Birmingham team, you’ll work on an impressive client list made up of growth-focused entrepreneurs, private equity portfolio companies and large multinationals. The variety of projects will challenge you every day, helping you expand your capabilities and grow professionally. Discover a culture that nurtures individuality and celebrates fresh thinking!
About the job
This is an opportunity to work on a varied portfolio of clients and groups, some with complex tax affairs, ensuring both excellent client service and identification of further work opportunities. The role will include undertaking the more complex compliance work, reviewing work undertaken by junior team members, and significant involvement in a variety of advisory projects. In addition, you will have the opportunity to support senior staff by involvement in business development opportunities, proposals and networking events.
- Be the main point of contact on portfolio allocation and respond quickly to clients.
- To liaise with the client throughout the year and to practise the principles of excellent client service at all times.
- To identify and advise on tax planning opportunities and to undertake specialist technical assignments as required.
- To manage the assignment in accordance with the firm’s standard procedures and confirm arrangements with the client, including likely costs and billing arrangements.
- Ensuring the work meets targeted recovery, and to bill clients on a timely basis.
- To research and prepare proposals for new work, and to take part in formal presentations to prospective clients.
- To be actively involved in the office business development activities.
- To take an active involvement in client seminars, and to effectively follow up contact made.
- To ensure that appropriate liaison takes place with all other departments, and that all potential client needs are identified and serviced accordingly.
- To develop a detailed knowledge of the firm’s specialist services and to undertake special work in response to client needs where appropriate.
- To maintain an advanced level of technical knowledge through appropriate reading and courses, and to fulfil professional bodies’ CPD requirements.
- Be a line manager for staff, including taking an active role in their development.
- To assist in student recruitment, training and marketing activities as required.
- Attend staff meetings and training as required.
- To brief junior staff on the client’s business and the pre-assignment instructions, to supervise and control the completion of work, and to undertake ‘on the job’ training and appraisals where necessary.
- To ensure that the clients’ tax affairs comply with statutory requirements, and manage compliance work team efficiently.
- To ensure tax quality at all times by adhering to the Firm’s quality standards.
- Maintain an awareness and observation of Health and Safety issues within the Firm, and report any concerns to the Health and Safety Representative.
- Carry out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job, the title of the role and its grading, as requested by the line manager, Head of Department or any Partner.
About the ideal candidate
This role will suit someone who is looking for an environment where they will have opportunity to accelerate their knowledge and skills in a creative, entrepreneurial and supportive team, working with lots of fantastic clients along the way.
- Ideally CTA / ATII qualified or equivalent, along with a prior tax or accounting qualification such as CA, ACCA or ATT.
- Strong corporate tax knowledge, exhibiting the ability to deliver compliance and/or advisory services.
- Proven experience in client handling and project management.
- Demonstrated experience in producing high quality work within budget.
Note: This job description reflects the present requirements of the role. As duties and responsibilities change, the job description will be reviewed and will be subject to amendment in consultation with the individual.
At RSM we work hard to create an environment where our people can make a difference - to themselves, their career, their teams, and to the success of our firm and clients. We support all our people to work flexibly, to manage their family and other responsibilities alongside their work commitments; we believe this is key to achieving an inspiring and fulfilling working environment.
Diversity and inclusion at RSM
At RSM, inclusion and diversity are central to our values. We have an authentic focus on intentional inclusion, enabling our people to feel they can bring their whole self to work and ensuring everyone feels supported, respected and confident to make a valuable contribution.
To find out more, please visit our Diversity and Inclusion page on our Careers Website.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.