Strategy and Transaction - Assistant Director - Government and Infrastructure
Our Strategy and Transaction (SaT) team works with clients to manage their capital agenda to drive competitive advantage and increased returns. As part of a global team of 10,000 professionals in 100 countries you will advise clients on preserving, optimising, raising or investing capital. Major competencies within TAS include Mergers and Acquisition, Restructuring, Transaction Support, Valuation & Business Modelling and Government and Infrastructure Advisory.
Within SaT, the Government and Infrastructure (G&I) team works with all levels of Government, leveraging sector insights and delivering tangible, measurable business benefits. Our senior practitioners come from across all disciplines across the Firm and form long-term, trusted relationships with our Government clients, supporting them with highly informed, strategic advice to resolve their most pressing business issues.
Our team also advises on all aspects of the development, structuring and financing of infrastructure and real estate projects. We help clients understand the business, investment and public policy opportunities arising from increased investment in infrastructure and offer a coordinated approach to procuring, structuring, executing and managing major infrastructure and complex service projects and transactions. Our professionals are drawn from finance, investment banking, Government, economics, construction, funds management and industry.
As Assistant Director, you will support the SaT Partners in building business for the firm, leading and managing assignments won and developing and managing teams.
Join our G&I Team and you join a team of experienced professionals who bring to clients excellence in the planning, procurement and delivery of infrastructure. You will advise both public and private sector organisations that require support in developing and managing large scale infrastructure projects across a range of sectors. You will also advise on the long-term operation of assets and the creation of high performing organisations.
What will I be doing
Typical activities include the following:
- Working under the supervision of Directors or Partners within TAS as well as other Ernst & Young departments in both Ireland and internationally on the following assignments:
- Strategic advice - various advices relating to strategic matters, which vary considerably from client to client
- Business planning & business case - various advices relating to strategic matters, which vary considerably from client to client
- Procurement–advising public and private clients in relation to the procurement of infrastructure assets through different forms of contracting and procurement models
- PPPs – advising public and private clients in relation to the procurement of infrastructure assets through PPP
- Mergers, buyouts and disposals - buying and selling businesses and assets in infrastructure sector
- Working effectively as a team member by sharing responsibility, providing support, maintaining communication and updating senior members on progress.
- Understanding our client requirements, co-developing our approach with the client, and providing value to our clients through insights, factual conclusions and advice.
- Review Excel models under supervision and arrive at preliminary conclusions.
- Understand, manipulate and interpret financial data and client information, drawing appropriate conclusions.
- Carry out relevant analysis and present your findings (both written and orally).
- Gathering, verifying and analysing information to formulate views.
- Day to day progression of assignments to include; planning, preparing and reviewing various forms of deliverables to include reports and presentations.
- A focus on anticipating and identifying risks that require escalation and subsequently escalating these risks to more senior staff as appropriate.
- Working closely with colleagues you will ensure that work is properly executed, documented and concluded in compliance with our Quality & Risk Management guidelines.
- Actively establishing, maintaining and strengthening your internal and external relationships.
- As an influential member of the team, you will help to create a positive learning culture. You will be responsible for mentoring and developing more junior members of staff and providing constructive feedback on both a formal and informal basis.
- Maintaining and constantly upgrading technical knowledge and personal skills.
- Lead and manage a challenging and varied client portfolio, both public and private side
- Develop your own career. With sustained levels of growth in our SaT practice, you will have an excellent opportunity to progress and specialise
- Develop and maintain business relationships and market profile with a view to winning business for the Firm
- Develop and maintain new products and service offerings
- Lead both internal and external projects
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Benefit from an excellent remuneration and benefits package
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Responsible for developing client deliverables including reports; presentations; financial projections etc.
- Responsible for client engagement on assignments on day-to-day basis; updating client on project progress; discussing tasks to be completed and deliverables to be provided etc.
- Responsible for managing team of junior team members including instructing them on completion of tasks relating to client deliverables
- Responsible for management of project financials and administration including client take on process; WIP control; billing etc.
- Responsible for preparation of pitch and proposal documents including tender response documents; presentations; pricing schedules etc.
- Develop network of contacts (internal & external)
- Seek regular feedback on individual assignments and regular guidance from counsellor
- Manage own time to budgets and communicates progress against plan to assignment director
- Manage time of junior members of staff to budget and communicate progress against plan to assignment director
- Identifying issues and drawing to attention of Partner/Director and contributing to discussions
Technical skills requirements
- Ideally you will have an accounting qualification - CA or equivalent;a sound grasp of Irish GAAP and/or IFRS and financial accounting, combined with a high level of business awareness and a strong understanding of the factors that drive financial performance
- Highly numerate with a sound grasp of Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- A track record in infrastructure advisory and/or corporate finance advisory, experience of working in a professional services environment, and exposure to high profile transactions, would all be a distinct advantage
- Familiarity with the development or formal review of financial models is a pre-requisite
Additional skills requirements
- Qualified with ACA, ACCA or equivalent qualification
- Minimum 2.1 degree, numeric subjects preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills and client focus are important, as well as attention to detail and the ability to work under pressure
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrates organization and self management skills
- Pro-actively manage own development
- Excellent business development and relationship management skills
- Strong leadership skills, excellent delegation skills and proven ability to manage and develop junior members of the team is required
- A bachelor's degree in finance, economics, accounting or business and at least 3+ years of related work experience