Balfour Beatty Investments has an exciting opportunity for a Finance Manager to join our Investments team to work in Newcastle.
With the support of the Head of Concession Finance, manage the financial affairs of a portfolio of Balfour Beatty Investments concession companies so as to optimize the value of investments, meet the IFRS and UK G P financial reporting requirements (to management, shareholders, clients and funders) and comply with statutory and regulatory obligations.
As a line manager, support, motivate and inspire the leadership and development of the Concession Finance team.What you'll be doing
As a Finance Manager, you will have the following accountabilities:
- Review the financial and operational aspects of concessions in conjunction with the Head of Concession Finance and Concessions Services team so as to optimise the balance of risk and return to shareholders;
- Line management of Company Accountant to deliver Concession Finance services to a portfolio of schemes, including overview of and involvement with as necessary:
- Monthly concession company reporting packages and ad hoc information to the shareholders;
- Financial reporting systems and procedures;
- Financial modelling;
- Cash management;
- Sales and purchase ledger accounting;
- Financial aspects of insurance matters;
- Where relevant, accounting for the Balfour Beatty side of shareholder support arrangements;
- The conversion of UK G P accounts to IFRS and providing commentary for shareholder reporting purposes.
- Maintain detailed input to individual concessions as required supporting Company Accountants in line with risk appraisal and specific concession issues;
- Ensure the Company Accountants provide a clear audit trail and that supporting documentation and explanations are readily accessible. Ensure transactions are processed accurately by the Company Accountants;
- Reviewing concession management accounts and monitoring the activities and results of concessions and their performance against budget;
- Support Company Accountants on treasury issues, such as debt-draw downs, injections of funds by shareholders, banking arrangements and maximising deposit returns;
- Assist Company Accountants with the compliance aspects of the corporation tax affairs of each concession company and liaison with external auditors;
- Reviewing the draft statutory accounts of concession companies, produced by the Company Accountants, including the application and disclosure of technical accounting practices;
- Preparing and reviewing annual budgets and periodic forecasts of concession companies including the application of technical accounting calculations;
- Preparing and/or reviewing the maintenance and update of half yearly financial models for reporting to lenders and ensuring optimal distributions to shareholders;
- Other ad-hoc financial modelling and risk analysis, including for Variations and in the Lifecycle planning process;
- Maintain and enhance the systems of internal controls over accounting and other management systems through written financial policies and procedures;
- Fulfil the contractual obligations arising out of concession agreements and bank facility agreements;
- Training and development of Company Accountants;
- Assist the Project Finance team w.r.t equity sales and refinancing and other shareholder optimization of concession returns;
- Act as Company Secretary where required;
- Management of systems as required.
Personal Qualities & Experience:
- Qualified to degree level (minimum of 2:1);
- Qualified accountant with significant experience;
- Experience of PFI Accounting;
- Experience of working in PFI concessions;
- Strong financial modelling experience;
- Excellent technical accountancy skills;
- Capability of interpreting financial implications of complex contractual documents;
- Effective communicator, both verbally and in writing;
- Comfortable and able to contribute at Board meetings;
- Team player;
- Ability to motivate, inspire and lead a team;
- Able to act on own initiative but recognises when matters should be raised to Head of Concession Finance;
- Computer literate with spreadsheet, work processing packages and accounting systems;
- Ability to get things done, right first time, to tight timescales;
- Commitment to Balfour Beatty Investment Information Security Policy;
- Commitment to Balfour Beatty Values of Integrity, Teamwork, Excellence and Respect;
- Commitment to Balfour Beatty Zero Harm Agenda.
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
Balfour Beatty Investments is a global infrastructure investor operating in the UK, US and Canada. We provide the investment capability to deliver complex infrastructure projects. Over the past 21 years, Balfour Beatty Investments has established itself as one of the largest investors in the PPP industry, building a portfolio of more than 70 projects worldwide, predominantly in the UK and North America.
In recent years, Balfour Beatty Investments has diversified into new markets and geographies, demonstrating a successful evolution. Our core markets include: healthcare, education, student accommodation, residential and military housing, highways and power and waste.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.