Senior Staff Accountant/CPA- Always Remote- USA Only
The position is 100% remote. All you need is an internet connection and a quiet place to work.
Quimbee is growing, and we're looking to hire our first and sole in-house accountant/financial master to the team. We are looking for an experienced tax accountant who can take over our routine tax filings and serve as a liaison to our accounting firm for more complex matters. In addition, our accountant will be responsible for ensuring our books are accurate and up to date. Ideally, s/he will also take over bookkeeping responsibilities including securing bill approval, scheduling bills for payment in our billing platform, coding expenses to the proper category in our chart of accounts, etc. Our accountant extraordinaire will work closely with our COO, CEO, outside accountants and bookkeepers, and our operations specialist.
Who You Are
- A tax specialist: You love keeping abreast of the latest developments in tax law and feel comfortable making routine tax filings.
- A numbers wizard: You're all about the numbers, and passionate about accounting and finance.
- An excellent communicator: You communicate clearly, effectively, and politely with your teammates. In fact, you believe in “overcommunicating,” because you understand that lack of communication is the root cause of a dysfunctional team.
- A detail-oriented, tech-savvy, self-starter: You’re comfortable with technology generally and eager to learn. You’re disciplined and motivated, the kind of person who doesn’t need someone looking over your shoulder to make sure you’re doing your job.
- A fun person: You don’t lose your cool. You bring out the best in the people around you. You don’t take yourself too seriously. You can make and take a joke.
- Manage bill payment once primary bookkeeping activities are complete.
- Review month-end financials and update financial KPIs in our dashboards.
- Prepare financial reports, research and analyze financials, respond to ad hoc requests, and create forecasts as needed to assist with strategic decision-making by senior leaders.
- Proactively identify surprise expenditures or potential waste and raise those issues to senior leaders.
- Assist with gathering W9s and either prepare 1099s or manage outsourced service handling that.
- Manage the gathering of data needed to prepare our annual research and development credit report.
- Liaise with our accounting firm to ensure accurate and timely filed tax returns in all jurisdictions.
- Ensure best practices in our bookkeeping, accounting, and tax-management activities.
- Assess whether Quimbee has triggered new sales tax obligations, oversee sales-tax registrations, review all filings and monthly reports by our automated tax-collection tool.
- Work with our tech teams to troubleshoot when issues arise related to our tax-collection or reporting tools.
- Assist with the filing of annual reports with federal, state, and local governments and other compliance efforts.
- Other tasks as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or a closely related field
- 3-5 years experience as an accountant
- Strong knowledge of GAAP
- Proficiency in QuickBooks online
- Proficiency in Excel
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Understanding of sales-tax laws post South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc., 585 U.S. ___ (2018).
- Experience working at a website or similar all-digital business
- Familiarity with Bill.com (or similar bill-payment platforms)
- Experience with corporate audits
- Expertise in economic-nexus based sales-tax issues
- Familiarity with state VDA procedures
- Familiarity with TaxJar (or similar automated tax-collection tools)