Financial Controls Oversight, Assistant Vice President
Who we are looking for / Why this role is important to us
The Financial Controls Oversight (FCO) department within the Finance - Controllership organization provides oversight and management of State Street’s Global SOX Compliance program, ensuring financial reporting risk is managed in accordance with applicable SEC regulations. The group provides the framework, methodology, policies, procedures and guidelines for SOX Compliance, including activities supporting the quarterly and annual CEO and CFO SOX certifications. The group also ensures existence of an optimized and sustainable internal control over financial reporting environment and provides independent assurance through testing of State Street’s Internal Controls over Financial Reporting.
The Assistant Vice President (AVP), SOX Controls will report to the VP, Financial Controls Oversight. The individual will be responsible for assisting in the management and execution of the end-to-end SOX Program. The successful candidate must be energetic, detail oriented and able to work closely with the management team conducting testing, providing guidance related to deficiency evaluation and controls remediation.
What you will be responsible for
As an AVP in FCO, following are the key responsibilities:
- Provide guidance and oversight of SOX testing and certification
- Contribute to the execution of process risk and control walkthroughs and conduct independent sampling and control operational effectiveness testing/review work
- Assist in coordinating with the business and accounting teams, Corporate Audit and E&Y to ensure adequacy of the control environment and control design and compliance with SOX program requirements.
- Assisting in reviewing and classifying the severity of controls testing exceptions
- Interact with business line managers to develop and negotiate solutions for control exceptions. Follow up on issues with managers to ensure carry through of resolutions
- Draft SOX testing results reports to ensure clear communication of risks and SOX control issues
- Assist in developing and executing practices that ensure a proper control environment is established and which ensure a partnership with management is fostered to continually re-assess risks and mitigating controls, explore opportunities for efficiencies in meeting control objectives, documentation and automation, and collaboratively develop solutions to minimize control exceptions
What we value
These skills will help you succeed in this role
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, and able to research accounting guidance when necessary
- Strong organization, analytical, interpersonal, organizational and technical skills
- Expertise in MS Office (particularly XL, Access Databases, etc.)
- Ability to digest volumes of data and synthesize into simple messages for management
- Detail and deadline oriented
- Ability to work independently, prioritize and multitask
Education & Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelors’ degree in accounting, finance or a related field
- CIA or CPA or equivalent certifications preferred
- 3-5 years of Audit, Risk or Compliance experience, preferably at a large financial institution
- Past involvement with process risk and control walkthroughs; experience conducting test of design and control operational effectiveness testing
- Background in SOX compliance preferred
- Knowledge of COSO, AICPA, FDICIA, SSAE16, PCAOB, and IIA standards and laws and regulations
About State Street
What we do. State Street is one of the largest custodian banks, asset managers and asset intelligence companies in the world. From technology to product innovation we’re making our mark on the financial services industry. For more than two centuries, we’ve been helping our clients safeguard and steward the investments of millions of people. We provide investment servicing, data & analytics, investment research & trading and investment management to institutional clients.
Work, Live and Grow. We make all efforts to create a great work environment. Our benefits packages are competitive and comprehensive. Details vary in locations, but you may expect generous medical care, insurance and savings plans among other perks. You’ll have access to flexible Work Program to help you match your needs. And our wealth of development programs and educational support will help you reach your full potential.
Inclusion, Diversity and Social Responsibility. We truly believe our employees’ diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspective are a powerful contributor to creating an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive and reach their maximum potential while adding value to both our organization and our clients. We warmly welcome the candidates of diverse origin, background, ability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and personality. Another fundamental value at State Street is active engagement with our communities around the world, both as a partner and a leader. You will have tools to help balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, matching gift program and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you.
State Street is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.