Responsible for the delivery of all Finance services for three Canadian legal entities, the Canada CFO is a key business partner in the location working with Line of Business heads and functional leads to achieve Northern Trust’s business goals in the jurisdiction. The role is an “Oversight Function” as defined in the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions’ (OSFI) Supervisory Framework.
Reporting into the International CFO based in London, UK, the Canada CFO is a member of the International Finance Leadership Team, supporting the delivery and oversight of all Finance functions in Canada.
The Canada CFO also has a reporting line into the President and CEO, Northern Trust Canada, and is a key member of the Canada Management Committee.
In addition to the technical skills required to oversee the Finance function for regulated financial services entities, the successful candidate will have excellent people management skills, using them to both manage a small local team and provide effective oversight for financial processes outsourced to group affiliates. Individuals with previous banking or asset servicing experience are of particular interest for the role.
- Oversight of all business finance activities for Canadian legal entities, including financial control, regulatory reporting, statutory accounting, business reporting and analysis, management reporting, capital & liquidity management and taxation.
- Primary and direct responsibility for planning, overseeing and directing the activities of the Canada Finance function towards achievement of the Corporation’s objectives and for timely briefing and reporting on Finance matters to management, risk and legal entity governance bodies.
- Responsibility for the production and integrity of Canada’s financial information and its regulatory reporting in respect of its regulated activities.
- Monitoring of Trust’s capital adequacy, including analysis, forecasting, and scenario testing as stipulated in the Internal Capital Adequacy Assessment Process to assess current capital levels and possible future capital requirement.
- Participating in the development of the business unit strategic plan and financial budgeting processes and for the provision of financial insights and analysis in support of business decision-making.
Other Key Accountabilities
- Oversee an effective management information process, including active engagement with business and functions both locally and globally.
- Primary responsibility in the first line of defence for understanding and managing the risks inherent in the Finance function and for taking reasonable steps to ensure the adequacy of the control and governance arrangements within that function.
- Ensure the requirements of the Canada Finance function are properly supported by a robust infrastructure and that adequate resources, systems and controls are in place to comply with all applicable accounting standards, regulatory requirements, corporate policies and NT corporate governance standards.
- Ensure effective risk management of the activities of the Canada Finance function.
- Support Canada’s Senior Management in providing the Board with sound advice on the organizational objectives, strategy, structure and significant policies.
- Manage key external relationships with OSFI, External Auditors and other key outside stakeholders.
- Manage the preparation and completion of all applicable financial statements, financial reports, including submissions OSFI.
- Ensure that the Canada Finance Function is adequately resourced, that the performance management process is followed with training and development needs appropriately identified and addressed.
- Ensure the ongoing competence and capability of individuals within the Canada Finance function and monitor that team members act with due skill, care and diligence.
- Encourage an environment of employee participation, teamwork and open communication where regulatory compliance is an intrinsic part of the culture and day to day operations of the Canada business.
- Promote Northern Trust’s corporate values of Service, Integrity and Expertise
- Act as a role model and demonstrate behaviours in a way that is aligned to the Conduct framework and enforces the values and ethical standards of the Corporation.
- Proactively drive continuous improvement in the team by stressing the importance of ongoing evaluation of existing processes to promote greater effectiveness.
- Work as part of the wider International Finance function, engaging with other teams to help meet group objectives
The profile is not an exhaustive list of the activities that the role holder may be required to undertake. The Company may require the role holder to perform other duties as the Company deem necessary to fulfil the requirements of the role.
Internal key stakeholders:
- Global Finance Leadership Team members
- Canada Management Committee
- Legal Entity Board and Committee members
External key stakeholders:
- External Auditors
- External Advisors
- Tax Authorities
- Qualified Accountant with expertise in financial control, reporting and IFRS.
- Ability to provide direction and leadership to manage staff members and champion new initiatives across all lines of business.
- Excellent analytical and evaluation skills combined with considerable attention to detail.
- Excellent time management and organisational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adapt to various audiences.
- Flexible approach to process changes and variable workloads.
- Ability to make sound decisions and resolve problems before they escalate.
- Thorough business knowledge and big picture understanding that is likely to have been gained through ten or more years of relevant accounting work experience.
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With over 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
Working with Us:
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why we are honored to receive the following awards in 2021:
- Gender Equality Index Member, Bloomberg
- Top Financial & Banking Company, Black EOE Journal, Hispanic Network Magazine, Professional WOMAN'S Magazine
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of America’s best banks and most sustainable companies! Build your career with us and apply today.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.