Manager, Operational Resilience and Vendor Management
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
As a Northern Trust employee (Partner), you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve.
Northern Trust is committed to working with and providing adjustments to individuals with health conditions and disabilities. If you would benefit from adjustments for any part of the employment process, please inform the recruiter to discuss your individual requirements.
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
About Northern Trust Asset Management
Northern Trust Asset Management (NTAM) is a global Investment Manager with $1.1Trillion Assets Under Management, is a top 20 global asset manager, top 10 largest factor investor globally and the 12th largest ETF provider.
We believe investing ultimately serves a greater purpose and should be done intentionally and efficiently …
- by people who are passionate, astute and tenacious problem solvers
- with the understanding that all investing involves risk and
- is best accomplished by using an empirically based process.
At Northern Trust Asset Management, we understand that investing ultimately serves a greater purpose. That is why our philosophy is rooted in the fundamental belief that investors should get compensated for the risks they take – in all market environments and in any investment strategy.
At the heart of our philosophy is how we think about, view and analyze risk. As risk-aware investors, we take risk intentionally, to achieve investors’ desired outcomes and minimize unintended consequences.
In EMEA, Northern Trust Asset Management serves professional investors offers a wide range of investment management capabilities, across active and passive, equities, fixed income and cash management. This includes quant active, sustainable investing, multi-asset, liquidity focused solutions as well as more traditional index management. Capabilities are available through both pooled funds and segregated accounts, with a focus on designing investment strategies to meet the specific needs of investors. NTAM managers the largest European ESG fund and 5/10 largest ESG index funds globally****.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
Reporting into the Head of Business Governance and Oversight, this 1st line role within the Business will focus on owning, maintaining and improving the NTAM EMEA operational resilience frameworks, governance, regulatory deliverables etc, ensuring the ability to safeguard NTAM EMEAs legal entities, clients and assets. The role has a broad remit across various departments/teams and therefore superior communication skills are essential as is good IT skills, power BI, excel, power-point and database used for analysis, documentation, testing and reporting purposes.
- Responsible for the firms/ NTAM EMEA, including its offshore locations/ operational resilience program, ensuring the firm's important business services, impact tolerances, resources and supporting capabilities are identified, logged, approved, mapped and gap assessed against emerging regulation
- SME for Ops resilience within the 1st line for the business
- Work with Functions to ensure all services outsourced are appropriately completed including working with appropriate Vendors
- Work to ensure Outsourcing Training for home and outsourced location partners is completed
- Ensuring maturity lifecycle of emerging operational resilience regulation, so it is applied robustly across the business, including implementation, impact assessment, delivery and reporting.
- Lead a program of work to address resilience gaps or weakness identified/ leading multiple actions/deliverables against timescales
- Responsible for building awareness and understanding of Operational Resilience across the business, leading communications and building training and guidance to all levels of the NTAM business
- Lead the development of BC plans, providing insightful information and guidance and also challenging business areas where appropriate to assess downstream implications linked to their decisions
- Create and maintain the service taxonomy. Review and update service categories;
- Responsible for establishing and managing process to monitor resilience of IBS and critical resources, including defining and managing metrics to monitor same;
- Provide guidance and support to vendor/outsourcing owners with regards to ongoing operational resiliency needs and support the review and completion of critical vendor ‘deep dives’ establishing criteria for success, delivering on plans to support any identified gaps/enhancements
- Lead the Resiliency and Business Continuity testing programme covering internal and external activities
- Develop, coordinate and execute plausible and realistic Scenario Testing for all IBS: define and maintain the catalogue of ‘service but plausible’ scenarios
- Ensure compliance with the NT Corporate Operational Resiliency framework, procedures and guidelines together with all relevant regulatory requirements where appropriate implementing actions to protect the business
- The resilience governance lifecycle, maturing and updating BCP, disaster recovery plans etc.
- Work as an SME of the team, ensuring business critical vendors are onboarded, assured and assessed through a lens of business resilience.
- Working with the Operational Continuity Committee (OCC) Chair and Cosec of the OCC for NTAM EMEA, collating content and ensuring minutes and actions are formally noted through a formal governance process.
Skills/ Experience Required
- Technical knowledge including detailed knowledge of Operational Resilience consultation papers and new regulatory guidelines.
- Worked in Operational Risk role with a focus on BCP/Operational Resilience and testing
- Demonstrable experience delivering/implementing/coordinating focus on operational resilience across the business
- Experience covering Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery processes and standards
- Management level experience covering operational risk, control, oversight and resilience within Financial Services (ideally from within Asset Management).
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills, able to convey complex information in a simple way / Skilled at delivering concise, tailored and understandable messages across the spectrum of stakeholders
- Leadership capabilities to be able to influence, collaborate, make decisions and build confidence with C suite and Board levels
- Build strong relationships with 2nd and 3rd line and with senior management supporting key elements of resilience eg technology and data
- Strong knowledge of how operational resilience regulation is to be applied in relation to financial services and associated activities.
- Excellent people management, verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to present independently and directly to C-Suite executives and Board members as well as other business areas
- Experience in business recovery and disaster recovery, including the creation of disaster recovery reports, crisis management reports and business continuity plans.
Working with Us:
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. In return, we will support you with your personal and career goals in a number of ways:
Financial – Life Assurance, Disability Plan, Pension/ Gratuity, Annual Pay Review
Work Life Balance – Flexible Work Options, Incremental Annual Leave, Community Volunteer Days
Health & Wellbeing – Private Medical Insurance, Active Sports & Social clubs (lunchtime and after-work groups), Employee Assistance Program
Professional Development – Clear Career Path, Education Assistance, Recognition Programme, NT University (wide range of online, virtual & in-house training options) and employee-led Business Resource Councils dedicated to diversity and inclusion initiatives.
We hope you’re excited about the role and the opportunity to work with us.
We value an inclusive workplace and understand flexibility means different things to different people.
Apply today and talk to us about your flexible working requirements and together we can achieve greater.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.