Internal Audit Senior Manager
About the Role
Manage an Internal Audit / Controls team in conjunction with Partners/Directors to ensure timely and accurate delivery of complex technical IA audits / controls projects at clients’ sites in accordance with the firm’s Standards.
About the Company and Department
We are seeking ACCA , ACA or IIA/CIA qualified internal audit specialists to work across a range of public or corporate sector clients. We would be particularly interested in individuals who have experience of Sarbanes-Oxley work in addition to Internal Audit, but most importantly are looking for ambitious qualified staff keen to progress their careers in a large multi-national accounting and advisory practice.
Our continued growth across markets has led to further opportunities coming onto the market. We work across a range of specialist sectors and would in particular welcome candidates with experience in Central Government, Manufacturing, Construction, Real-estate and Healthcare.
- Manage an Internal Audit / Controls team in conjunction with Partners/Directors to ensure timely and accurate delivery of complex technical IA audits / controls projects at clients’ sites in accordance with the firm’s Standards.
- Lead a profitable IA / controls team to ensure effective delivery of internal audit, SOX / controls and / or third party controls assurance services.
- Lead and manage agreed client portfolio of internal audit or controls assignments for the service line and regional area.
- Perform higher level audit / controls assignments.
- Approve, and if necessary prepare initial draft client audit strategy and annual audit programme / controls project plans and test plans for each client, supported by a fully costed service delivery proposal, for subsequent approval by the Director/Partner.
- Prepare / approve draft progress papers and reports for client and / or Audit Committee prior to Director/Partner sign off.
- Represent the Firm in audit / control matters as required, including attendance at client meetings and Audit Committees, and other forums as deemed appropriate.
- Participate in and lead on business development activities in support of the growth of the firm and the internal audit / controls service within the region and nationally
- Assist as part of a team that prepares tenders and presents these to win work.
- Assist in the building of the discipline and ensuring the team delivers exceptional client service.
- Control and manage the delivery of the client programme, to ensure that the work is completed to time and budget, providing solutions on any issues as appropriate to the Director/Partner.
- Ensure the effective planning and utilisation of team members in line with the approved budget - including mapping complex scheduling to optimise profitability
- Monitor the effectiveness and quality of audit work through undertaking effective senior manager review of the work.
- Engage with the client billing in accordance with the Firm’s billing timescales, providing solutions to all potential adverse issues that may impact on the achievement of the agreed client billing and recovery targets.
- Monitor target recoveries and work with the Director/Partner in line with the approved budget to ensure that these are achieved and to assist in the maintenance of the contract monitoring system for those clients.
- Deal with day-to-day team matters, including feedback on performance on the job, assist in PDRs and where relevant the recruitment process, team welfare and H&S.
- Develops and retains talented people through strong leadership and coaching/mentoring relationships.
- Build relationships with new clients and identify/act upon all potential additional work opportunities at new clients or new work at potential clients.
- Support business development and growth initiatives of the practice through attendance at tender presentations, networking events and targeting within local / chosen markets.
About the Ideal Candidate
- Professionally qualified, e.g. ACA/ACCA/IA or other specialist qualification. Preferable to have accounting qualification.
- Gained the necessary recent and relevant experience within Internal Audit and / or SOX / controls projects. Strong technical controls documentation and evaluation experience.
- Driving licence (clean) / access to a car is required.
- Effective use of IT including excel, powerpoint, visio, audit and accounts packages.
- Maintains and promotes high professional standards of conduct and practice and demonstrates commitment to the Firm’s initiative and direction.
- Excellent technical knowledge on the internal audit process / internal controls and relevant sector issues, and ensures that team members are aware of key developments. Is developing / has developed a technical area of specialism
- Anticipates the impact of key developments within the relevant client sectors to manage overall technical and commercial risk.
- Reviews and controls the technical content of the work of others to ensure compliance with the Internal Audit Manual and other Standard Operating Procedures along with relevant regulatory standards e.g. Audit Standards.
- Aware of relevant financial targets and constraints, and actively assists senior management in achieving these, keeping Partner/client informed of potential problems including actual vs budget.
- Applies knowledge of RSM, markets and core client base, promoting and co-ordinating additional services provided to
clients in portfolio.
- Converts options into recommendations and resolutions to exceed client expectations where possible – seeks value billing opportunities and creates fees.
- Ensure client data is handled securely in accordance with the Firm’s and client’s data protection procedures.
- Developing leadership qualities, and known within the Firm and different service lines.
- Confident and excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Sales orientated: translates client needs into engagements, demonstrates commerciality in their action, established network of clients internally and externally.
- Able to organise and manage time efficiently and effectively, managing conflicting priorities when required and planning longer term – understanding fee budget and manages team’s time.
- Understands and promotes the need for continuous learning and considers development of specialist areas of knowledge.
- Able to train, coach and develop team members and provide support to other colleagues as required.
- Ability to anticipate and lead change with confidence.
- The post holder will be expected to travel to the client’s sites in their own time, limited where possible to one and a half hours each way.
Diversity and Inclusion at RSM
At RSM, inclusion and diversity are central to our values. We have an authentic focus on intentional inclusion, enabling our people to feel they can bring their whole self to work and ensuring everyone feels supported, respected and confident to make a valuable contribution.
To find out more, please visit our Diversity and Inclusion page on our Careers Website.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.