Internal Control Director, Managing Director
Who we are looking for
Reporting to the SSTB President, the Internal Controls Director will be responsible for enhancing our organization’s internal control system, this includes detecting and elimination of risk and compliance related issues and ensure SSTB is in full compliance with the relevant regulations.
Why this role is important to us
The team you will be joining is a part of State Street Global Services (SSGS). SSGS gives asset owners and managers access to the essential financial tools they need to deliver effective investment solutions. From core custody, accounting, fund administration and shareholder recordkeeping, to complete operations solutions and servicing for alternative assets like OTC derivatives, private equity and real estate, SSGS’ tools help our clients make better investment choices and act on growth opportunities.
Join us if making your mark in the financial services industry from day one is a challenge you are up for.
What you will be responsible for
As Internal Controls Director you will
- Proactively identify and escalate any issues and weaknesses in the governance structure and promote the governance requirements as identified within the State Street model
- Proactively engage with Ethics, AML, Privacy, Compliance, Risk Management and other control groups across State Street as required
- Monitor changes in relevant legislations and the regulatory environment
- Review developments in corporate governance, facilitate the induction of new directors and advise and assist Directors with respect to their duties and responsibilities, and compliance with company laws
- Provide oversight and guidance to Corporate Secretary team and implement procedures to facilitate compliance with relevant regulatory and legal requirements
- Work with Enterprise Risk Management team to identify risks and develop preventive strategies
- To be in charge of corporate governance management systems, such as custom protection management system
- To be the main point of contact with regulators for any regulatory related matters, in closely communicating/collaborating with Compliance
- Chair the Risk and Compliance Committee (RCC) meetings, this includes overseeing the development of agenda, host the bi-weekly RCC and challenge presenters both prior to and at the RCC to ensure full review have taken place and are in compliance with our rules and regulation
- Chair the local Deal Team meeting by keeping customer protection principle in mind to ensure any of the deals that pass through the Deal Team process are fair to all parties. Escalate any irregularities with Deal Team matters to Board of Directors/Executive Committees, and finally, represent SSTB with the President at APAC Deal Review
To summarize, we expect ICD to be the person who can manage:
- Regulatory engagement: including development of new engagement model, propose action for regulatory environment change
- Governance: enhancement and finalize designing (substance) of the new governance structure in details (i.e. Management System, Director and EO in charge, owner of the policy rules aligning with global coverage model. Oversight of issues in CATS (audit findings) and Archer (self-identified issues) for successful closure
- Internal Control Program and Process: Enhancement of Internal Control Process + Chair of RCC and Deal Team, especially work closely with Head of Risk, Compliance and BCO to ensure their program are adequately managed. Engagement with internal Audit on control issues.
- Risk Culture: Disseminate and embrace State Street’s corporate value through Risk Culture initiative (on going and already approved by RCC) to further enhance risk excellence in SSTB.
- Be the best advisor to the Country Head/President: Flag and escalate emerging risk, weaknesses, issues and concerns relating to SSTB Internal Control or view from the overall risk management of SSTB and propose possible plan or solution to remediate by working with SS stakeholders.
What we value
These skills will help you succeed in this role
- Embraces State Street’s “corporate values” and support a work environment reflective of those values
- Understanding of compliance and the regulatory environment
- Ability to work effectively with executive management levels
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
- Self-motivated and capable of working independently as well as be an effective collaborator
- Demonstrates effective time management skills and has proven ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Good track records with increasing responsibilities in your specialized field or expertise
Education & Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- JSDA Internal Control Manager qualifications a plus
- Extensive experience (15+ years) Japan financial (preferably banking and trust banking) regulatory environment experienced gained in compliance, risk management and/or internal control in a financial services environment
- Intensive experience in facing the Japanese regulators
- Good working knowledge of the conduct of business rules and local regulatory requirements that relate to financial industry such as Banking Act, FIEA etc
- Demonstrated competence in verbal and written communication in both Japanese and English
About State Street
What we do. State Street is one of the largest custodian banks, asset managers and asset intelligence companies in the world. From technology to product innovation, we’re making our mark on the financial services industry. For more than two centuries, we’ve been helping our clients safeguard and steward the investments of millions of people. We provide investment servicing, data & analytics, investment research & trading and investment management to institutional clients.
Work, Live and Grow. We make all efforts to create a great work environment. Our benefits packages are competitive and comprehensive. Details vary by location, but you may expect generous medical care, insurance and savings plans, among other perks. You’ll have access to flexible Work Programs to help you match your needs. And our wealth of development programs and educational support will help you reach your full potential.
Inclusion, Diversity and Social Responsibility. We truly believe our employees’ diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives are a powerful contributor to creating an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive and reach their maximum potential while adding value to both our organization and our clients. We warmly welcome candidates of diverse origin, background, ability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and personality. Another fundamental value at State Street is active engagement with our communities around the world, both as a partner and a leader. You will have tools to help balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, matching gift programs and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you.
State Street is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.