Director of Tax Operations - UK
Vistra has an exciting role for an experienced Tax Operations professional to join the team!
The successful candidate will be the UK owner and have responsibility for the service delivery of the overall Tax Operations Service; manage and be responsible for all UK personnel who deliver the services to clients; be responsible for the profitability and financial performance of the Services; be responsible for the creation and meeting of industry beating SLAs, plus the KPI's to monitor performance against them for the Service; be the process owner for the Services; be jointly responsible with sector heads for the client net promotor score.
This role will have two direct reports and report into our Executive Director (Operations) - Accounting, Finance and Treasury).
This role will suit someone working at Senior Manager or Associate Director level looking for their next step up in their career - you will also ideally have experience in the Private Equity (PE) and Real Estate (RE) space.
The role can be based out of any of our UK offices or remote - however, with the need to flexible to attend client meetings, and office meetings as and when required in person.
This is a pure compliance role (not advisory), but working closely with the advisory Tax team on adhoc projects.
• Manage ongoing contractual relationships and the delivery of Tax Operations services to clients for a group of accounts in respect of Direct Tax (Corporation Tax), Indirect Tax (VAT), and Payroll (PAYE and taxation of stock related remuneration) compliance
• Serve as a primary point of contact for key client relationships and ensure client satisfaction.
• Manage the delivery of contracted services to clients to ensure that SLAs (service level agreements) and KPIs (key performance indicators) as defined in the relevant contracts are met or exceeded.
• Ensure all work performed is invoiced on time and in line with client contracts.
• Be jointly responsible with the finance function for any outstanding client debt.
• Be responsible for the implementation of annual fee increases.
• With the relevant sector head and operational lead, prepare the annual budget for the service line.
• Serve as primary contact person for escalations and ensure client satisfaction.
• Maintain tight control over the project schedule, risks, scope of work and budget; ensure that operational teams and subcontractors have a clear understanding of client requirements.
• Ensure the team builds and maintains strong relationships with clients as well as other teams and provides day-to-day assistance, advice and support.
• Ensure the team has the appropriate level of technical expertise, qualifications and experience to provide the Service and ensures this remains up to date through CPD
• Promote the organisation's capabilities to clients, identify sales opportunities to be forwarded to the relationship managers and achieve contract extensions or additional business within the account(s).
• To be a lead director in the UK operational function and therefore a lead contributor to the improvement of our total service delivery to clients.
• To participate and be involved in both regional and group initiatives and projects relevant to the Service.
• To work alongside Vistra’s Tax Advisory teams, ensuring appropriate processes are in place to manage operational tax risk and revenue opportunities.
• To be the process owner for the Service.
• Alongside the global process owner for the service, to be responsible for the approval of any changes to processes for the Service.
• To drive and be responsible for continuous improvement to the Service
• To be the UK business lead for any projects for the Service
• Undertake detailed planning to ensure that operational capacity matches demand.
• Monitor SLA delivery to ensure that all agreed service levels are met or exceeded.
• Flag anticipated SLA issues in a timely manner to the Operations Director so that a resolution can be agreed.
• Responsible for all vendor relationships relevant to the Service to ensure SLAs are met and compliance requirements adhered to.
• Decision maker on fee, debt and service disputes.
• Recruitment, illness management and performance appraisal are managed in cooperation with the HR team.
• Professional knowledge is up to date and being shared with team members.
• Aims to achieve management and processing of activities in the most cost optimised manner - drives towards scale and cost optimisation.
• Resource management, including new hires, utilisation and migration of activities to the SSC and team structure.
• Manage the CPD programme for your operation to required levels for the Service
Reporting & Compliance
• Preparing management and board reports.
• Liaising with senior management across the organisation.
• Supporting the month end process where necessary.
• Ensuring all regulatory submissions are compliant with the relevant standard & filed within the required deadline.
• Works closely with Internal audit/compliance to improve and maintain strong control environment.
• Works closely with key stakeholders (e.g. Legal, Risk and compliance) to ensure that all processes remain compliant.
• Ensures the compliant use and ongoing monitoring of supplier relationships required to the deliver the Service
• Responsible for notifications to insurers and regulators as appropriate.
• Minimum 5 years relevant experience with at least 3 years at Director or Associate Director level.
• CTA or ADIT (or equivalent such as CA) qualification is desirable although not essential depending on experience.
• Detailed knowledge and working experience of Direct Tax in the UK across multiple sectors, including Technology, Property/Real Estate, and Capital Markets in various corporate, GP and LP structures.
• Strong track record on technical tax matters in a client based environment.
• Experience of leading a team which delivers technical direct and indirect tax services to clients.
For a comprehensive overview of the role please download the JD.