Consultant, APAC Operational Risk (2VP)
Who we are
For more than a century, Northern Trust has worked hard building our legacy of outstanding service, expertise, and integrity. From a Chicago-based bank founded in 1889, we now have more than 20 international locations and 16,500 employees globally. We serve the world’s most-sophisticated clients – from sovereign wealth funds and the wealthiest individuals and families to the most-successful hedge funds and corporate brands.
Northern Trust’s international business has grown dramatically over the last decade. Some of our largest clients are located in Asia and Australia, which represents a rapidly growing client base for the company. Since 1986, we have been serving clients in Asia-Pacific (APAC), including corporate pension funds, investment managers, insurance companies, government agencies, family offices and corporations. Our intricate understanding of the region allows us to provide unique insights and strategic perspectives to our clients. Currently, we have client offices in Beijing, Hong Kong, Sydney, Melbourne, Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo and Kuala Lumpur.
What we do
We burnished our reputation as a global leader delivering innovative investment management, asset and fund administration, fiduciary and banking solutions enabled by sophisticated, leading technology. And through it all, we continually laid a solid, forward-looking foundation on which future generations can continue growing and achieving greater.
What you will do
The Operational Risk Consultant role sits within the Risk Organization, reporting to the APAC C&IS Risk, COO based in Hong Kong. The purpose of the role is to establish and deploy Risk Management guidelines and policies of 2nd Line of Defense; and embed our Operational Risk Management Framework within the 2nd line of defense that will become an integral part of the Run The Bank (RTB) risk processes.
The role is a fundamental component within the 2nd line of defense on leading execution of the core Change The Bank (CTB) operational risk initiatives across APAC, enabling and influencing the change within both 2nd Line of Defense and 1st Line of Defense across APAC, EMEA, and North America.
- Responsible for establishing and deploy operational Risk framework across APAC in line with Northern Trust Enterprise Risk Management Framework. This includes processes and not limited to: Incident Management, business and product risk reviews, Business Continuity, Outsourcing management
- Project manage and execute change management on operational risk initiatives across APAC to the first line of defense and second line of defense Risk teams across APAC
- Responsible for enhancing NT enterprise risk reporting at business unit risk level and at Entity view across APAC
- Participate in a comprehensive reporting and oversight program, ensuring accurate reporting for key metrics.
- Involved in risk analytics and assessment on core Non-Financial Risk programs includes and not limited to Risk Control Self-Assessment (RCSA), Entity table top exercises
- Able to establish appropriate risk reporting that governs operational risk monitoring across first line of defense and Second line of defense risk oversight
- Evaluate policy for applicability and required process/program change
- Oversee risk policy and change action plans to ensure adherence and compliance
- Be at the forefront to promote operational risk awareness within the organization
- Work as right hand person with APAC Risk, COO to deploy APAC Risk strategy initiatives across APAC
- Support the implementation of new Risk programmes and initiatives from the enterprise risk framework
- Able to drive influence on changes in the Risk Profile, document and escalate any breaches to the local, regional and global management according to the internal policies and procedures
- Participate and facilitate responses to ad-hoc or scheduled queries (e.g. regulatory, internal/external audit) for the relevant Risk areas in scope.
Your knowledge, skills and qualifications:
- University/College Degree with experience in the financial industry.
- Experience in preparing and executing change plans, managing stakeholders through change. Familiarity with project management approaches, tools and phases of the project lifecycle
- Experienced in project management lead and drive through change delivery successfully.
- Proven experience implementing organizational risk initiatives, inclusive of issues management and policy/regulatory change management, across a broad number of teams and processes
- Experience coordinating multiple tasks within aggressive time frames
- Independent problem-solving and discretion
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Willingness to learn, adapts easily to change and confident with diverse thinking
- Ability to establish credibility, trust and support within all levels of the organization
- Aptitude for synthesizing complex issues into a clear and concise summary
- Proactive and results-oriented
- Experience with prior exposure to risk and a clear understanding of internal.
- Controls/governance and oversight across all 3 lines of defense.
- Experience in leading Risk Management initiatives.
- Strong analytical and project management/organizational skills with the ability to drive assigned projects within the pre-defined deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, meeting participation and presentation/facilitation) with the ability to influence at senior levels and deal with difficult situations.
- Demonstrated ability to operate with flexibility, creativity, and a sense of urgency with a proven ability to manage in a changing business environment.
- Six Sigma Certification will be an advantage.
- Strong Knowledge Excel and/or VBA skills is a plus
Working with Us:
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why we are honored to receive the following awards in 2021:
- Gender Equality Index Member, Bloomberg
- Top Financial & Banking Company, Black EOE Journal, Hispanic Network Magazine, Professional WOMAN'S Magazine
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of America’s best banks and most sustainable companies! Build your career with us and apply today.
Northern Trust is an equal opportunity employer. We aim for excellence in our efforts to recruit, develop and deploy the highest caliber workforce. Our commitment and success to a diverse workforce is evident in employee satisfaction and industry acknowledgment.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.