Country Chief Accountant - Accounting (IFRS) Expert
As a Country Chief Accountant - Accounting (IFRS) Expert, you will be based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. You will be working at Roche Services and Solutions (RSS), which is one of the Roche Shared Services Centers worldwide providing Finance and Procurement services to various countries in the APAC region.
This role will serves as the local Accounting Expert responsible for ensuring accounting knowledge remains current across the RSS organization. In addition, this role will be responsible for ensuring the accounting processes are at a high quality and will serve as the first point of contact for all accounting topics. The Accounting Expert will work closely with the RSS APAC Finance teams (Record to Report, Demand to Pay, and Compliance), Global Teams (FinEx, FGAR, Consolidations, CoFI), and the affiliate to ensure accuracy of accounting data.
General tasks include the following:
Financial Reporting / Accounting / Controlling Training and Consultation
- Closely follow IFRS developments and determine impact on the organization.
- Member of the Accounting Experts Global team worldwide focused on clarifying and updating RSS teams with any changes in accounting policy and consultations for complex transactions.
- Ensure correct adaptation of IFRS changes for the region as interpreted by Group Finance.
- Assess training needs through regular communication with employees, surveys, consultation with managers or focus groups.
- Organize and design training events regarding Financial Reporting/Accounting Policy Topics.
Monthly Reporting / General Accounting / Management Accounting
- Support a small to medium size affiliate as a Country Chief Accountant.
- Coordinate with RSS Americas Finance teams (AP, GA, MA, AR, TR, T&E, Compliance and Procurement) and execute month-end, quarter-end and year-end closing activities to ensure timely and accurate closure of accounts in compliance with month-end close checklist.
- Analyze and communicate consolidated review of profit and loss accounts and balance sheet, accountable for the financial accuracy of the affiliate’s financial statements.
- Responsible for Internal Controls of Financial Reporting (ICFR) documentation and internal controls matters, act as owner for the ICFR tools – INVOLVE and BWISE.
- Review monthly balance sheet reconciliation – follow up on open items and rectify any anomalies encountered.
- Submission of reporting packages accurately and within specified timeline i.e. Sustainability, Insurance reporting.
- Responsible for IFRS 16 Leasing related matters, i.e. SimSol / Planon.
- Review and provide approval for all relevant journal entries for posting by RSS APAC team.
- Responsible for all management accounting aspects i.e., period cost allocation, COPA allocation, SSC allocation, etc.
Accounts Receivable / Accounts Payable / Treasury
- Responsible for multiple aspects of Accounts Receivables – review and approve manual billings, ensure all sales related activities are reported timely and accurately.
- Responsible for multiple aspects of Accounts Payables – review and provide approval of AP related activities (i.e. relevant vendor invoices, payment, tax reports, etc.).
- Responsible for the coordination, preparation and final review and sign-off of A/P Tax Reporting.
- Responsible for the financial integrity of the AR and AP balances including all accrual balances.
- Responsible for treasury matters i.e. FX deal, credit facilities, payment request, banking matters.
- Main contact person for Finance Manager (FM) in the affiliates for all financial matters, requests and advisory support. Also an active member of the FM / Controller’s Local Leadership Team.
- Main contact person for RSS APAC Finance teams for issue resolution for all financial matters.
- Preparation of audit related schedules and documentation, including liaising with the Auditor. Participate in any compliance audits and respond to audit queries.
- Promote the principles of good accounting practices and continuous improvement.
- Ensure compliance with documented internal controls, maintaining documented processes, verifying appropriateness of identified risks and relevant controls to mitigate said risks, as well as participate in compliance reviews.
- Train others on accounting topics and latest changes in accounting.
Qualification & Experience Requirements
- Minimum 14 years of relevant Finance and Accounting / Audit experience – Big Four Accounting Firm background preferred: KPMG, PWC, Deloitte or EY.
- CPA / CA / ACCA country qualification is required.
- Accounting Certification must be active (i.e. Continuous professional education or CPE must as required by the country CPA board).
- Expert knowledge of accounting principles and practices including international accounting standards with proficiency in relevant accounting software, preferably SAP.
- Extensive IFRS experience, having an understanding of IFRS and appreciation for the risks in applying and financial reporting implications of IFRS.
- Ability to identify IFRS problem areas in a set of financial statements / fact pattern and to recommend solutions
- Ability to research and tackle complex issues and at a detailed level, thorough understanding of internal control and risk management framework.
- Meticulous, independent, proactive and ability to execute tasks within tight deadlines. Proficiency in negotiation and influencing skills, comfortable working in a dynamic, changing, across diverse cultural and growing environment.
- Strong communication and excellent presentation skills, expressing ideas and expectations in a clear and concise manner.
- Fundamental understanding on the principles of presentation and how to engage participants.
- Proven track record of effective relationship and stakeholder management with diverse populations (customers, colleagues and senior leaders).
- Able to commit to business travel when required.
At Roche, 91,700 people across 100 countries are pushing back the frontiers of healthcare. Working together, we've become one of the world's leading research-focused healthcare groups. Our success is built on innovation, curiosity and diversity. Roche Diagnostics is committed to create a great place to work for its employees and in 2015 we have been accredited as Regional Best Employer Asia Pacific by Aon Hewitt. Individual Best Employer Awards were awarded in Singapore, Korea, China and India.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.
Candidates must be resident in Malaysia, or have the right to work in Malaysia.