Mumbai - HK Client facing Account Manager
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 747 offices in 42 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley Fund Services (MSFS) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Morgan Stanley. We provide fund administration services to the leading hedge funds of the world. With over $500 billion in Assets under Administration, the division employs over 1,000 professionals globally, with offices in New York, Dublin, London, Hong Kong, Mumbai, Glasgow and Bangalore.
- Act as primary point of contact for hedge fund clients
- Manage approximately 1-5 client relationships
- Review and understand key fund organizational documents and ensure fund setup is consistent with the fund’s documents
- Assist MSFS conversion teams with new client set up and accounting conversion implementation
- Coordinate with MSFS’ offshore operations and clients to resolve trade and accounting breaks
- Review position and cash reconciliations between clients and their custodians
- Perform account closing procedures and ensure compliance with MSFS’ established accounting procedures and controls
- Ensure all fund expenses are accrued timely and in accordance with applicable accounting guidelines
- Review investor allocations prior to distribution to clients and investors
- Review accounting journal entries related to standard accruals, management and incentive fees (calculated in accordance with fund documents), derivative contract financing and broker financing
- Coordinate valuation signoff process with relevant accounting colleagues in other Global locations
- Review and approve portfolio valuations to ensure compliance with Fund governing documents prior to distribution to clients and ensure client approval prior to distribution to investors/third parties
- Idea generation and ongoing assessment and improvement of the operational service model
- Coordinate with global colleagues across various groups (accounting, operations, investor services) to identify and implement solutions to problems –and leverage firm resources as appropriate to strengthen control environment and improve service model
- Act as a conduit between clients and their custodians/prime brokers
- Coordinate yearend audit with client and their independent auditors
- Review draft annual financial statements
- Undergraduate degree (i.e. Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent)
- Minimum 5 years prior experience in accounting related role
- Extensive knowledge of hedge fund and hedge fund investor level accounting concepts including:
- Strong knowledge of U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and/or International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), as applicable
- Experience in GAAP/IFRS financial statement reporting requirements, including strong understanding of hedge fund structures (master-feeder, mini-master, fund-of-funds)
- Strong team and interpersonal skills
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal), and relationship management skills
- Knowledge of different product types, including but not limited to derivatives (total return swaps, credit default swaps, interest rate swaps, futures, forwards), bonds, options, equity instruments, etc.
- Ability to handle pressure effectively
- Exercise sound judgment on escalating risk
- Ability to communicate effectively across cultures
- Demonstrate ability to leverage resources across the various other sub functions (i.e.: Tax, IS, Portfolio Analytics, etc.)
- Consistently deliver high quality work product
- Apply sound business judgment
- Encourage innovative ideas and solutions to problems
- Controls & Risk Management – focus on enhancing control and managing operational risk
- CPA/CA/Qualified license a plus but not required
- Prior experience with an asset manager, fund administrator, or public accounting firm, preferred
- Tax knowledge and experience in tax return preparation a plus
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.