Accounts Payable Coordinator
About the Markle Foundation:
The Markle Foundation challenges itself and diverse partners to deploy their varied expertise to identify solutions to critical public problems and achieve systemic change. Today, as millions are unemployed and advanced technology and automation change the very nature of work, Markle's current priority is advancing solutions toward a labor market that will enable workers in America to move into good jobs in the digital economy.
About the Rework America Alliance:
In response to the devastating impact of the pandemic, Markle launched the Rework America Alliance a nationwide collaboration of employers, non–profits, educators, government entities, and public and private organizations. The Alliance is working to open opportunities for millions of unemployed and low wage workers to move into good jobs, particularly people of color who have been disproportionately impacted by the current economic crisis. Partners include National Urban League, NAACP, UnidosUS, the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, Google, IBM, Microsoft, McKinsey & Company, North America's Building Trades Unions, Workday and other leading businesses, labor unions, training and workforce organizations. (The full list of members can be found on our website.)
About Rework America Networks and Skillful:
The Rework America Alliance builds on Markle's previous work in this field. In 2013, Markle launched its Rework America initiative to help workers have greater market power and a stronger voice in decisions that impact their lives. The Rework America Task Force was focused on how to create more good jobs and how to prepare people for them, publishing the Norton press book America's Moment in 2015.
This work inspired the development of Markle's Skillful initiative in 2016 in Colorado – which expanded to Indiana in 2018. Skillful is part of Markle's Rework America Alliance, working with employers, educators, non–profits, workforce leaders and others in Indiana to help people get good jobs based on the skills they have or the skills they can learn. Skillful is contributing resources to the Alliance as it aims to help unemployed people across the country return to the workforce in better jobs with greater career potential.
The Skillful State Network is a non–partisan collaboration of more than half of the nation's state governors, working to accelerate the development and deployment of effective skills–based practices to transform their labor markets.
The Rework America Business Network was launched by Markle in 2018 with 11 founding large U.S. member companies which collectively employ approximately 2.2 million Americans. These companies work to expand opportunities for people of diverse backgrounds by recruiting and hiring with a focus on individuals' skills.
About the role:
The Accounts Payable Coordinator is responsible for processing accounts payable and reconciling expense reimbursements for the organization. This role provides support to the Accounting and Finance team and Grants Manager. The ideal candidate has a solid understanding of the accounts payable process and its impact on the financial statements, is an independent worker with excellent time management, organization, math and communication skills and produces high quality work with accuracy.
This role is temporary to permanent – 32 hours per week (4 days).
Accounts Payable and General Accounting
- Review invoice documentation for support, mathematical accuracy, and approval(s) for weekly payment cycle.
- Code invoices to general ledger accounts.
- Enter accounts payable and journal entries into accounting software with accuracy and attention to details.
- Maintain electronic files using Adobe Acrobat Professional.
- Review staff travel expenses for employees and consultants to ensure compliance with organization's policy.
- Assist with documentation and information requests as needed.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Accounting and Finance team.
Grants and Consulting Agreements
- Contact contractors and grantees to obtain supporting documentation as directed.
- Assist with organizing and saving electronic files.
- Update grant excel files as requested.
- Interact with the staff and vendors in a kind and courteous manner with a problem–solving mindset.
- Stay in touch with your team keeping them updated regarding your workload and deadlines.
- Degree and Credential Requirements: NONE! We value candidates who can demonstrate capability and articulate how prior experiences will help them to contribute.
- Software skills: Experience using Outlook, intermediate Excel skills (pivot tables), experience with computerized accounting software (MIP a plus), experience using Adobe Acrobat Professional and experience with expense reimbursement software is a plus.
- Accounting: Confident in managing all aspects of the accounts payable cycle including the A/P reconciliation.
- Strong attention to detail: Understanding the importance of entering data into accounting software correctly with a proven method of checking your work.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality: High level of integrity and respect the confidential nature of the information that they are privy to in the organization.
- Organization skills: Ability to keep all electronic files in order using Adobe Acrobat Professional.
- Basic time management experience: Ability to organize and manage workload to meet multiple deadlines.
- Active learner: Positive attitude with an openness and willingness to learn. Demonstrates ability to receive and apply feedback and continues to improve.
- Communication skills: Demonstrated ability to clearly communicate both verbally and written and understand the importance of responding to requests effectively and timely.
- Working style: A pro–active, reliable team member with a strong work ethic and the ability to work effectively on an independent basis.
- Location: New York, NY (We are remote till at least June of 2021)
- Title: Accounts Payable Coordinator
- Report to: Associate, Accounting
- Term: Part–time. The temporary assignment will be for 3 months with possibility of extension and/or conversion to Permanent
- Weekly hours: Approximately 32 hours a week.
- How to apply: Please submit cover letter and resume to