Risk Manager, Operational Risk, Market & Liquidity
The Risk Manager role sits within the Risk Organization, reporting to the APAC Head of Market and Liquidity Risk based in Singapore. The purpose of the role is to provide Risk Management guidance to the business unit managers; embed our Operational Risk Management Framework, and to support the Market and Liquidity Risk Management activities in Singapore and across APAC.
The role is an integral component of the second line of defense and will involve providing independent Risk Management oversight for the identification, assessment, reporting and monitoring of risk-taking activities by the first-line of defense in Singapore and in a number of Northern Trust legal entities in the APAC region.
The role involves close interactions with the relevant first-line of defense including business lines and support functions, as well as, with other partners from the second line of defense within the Risk team across APAC, EMEA, and North America.
- Risk Management oversight and guidance to the Business on different Risk areas, including (but not limited to): Market & Liquidity risk, Operational risk (Business Continuity, Outsourcing, RCSA) and Strategic risk.
- Liaise with Risk Management colleagues in other Northern Trust locations to familiarize with core corporate risk programmes and initiatives; assess applicability to Singapore/APAC and promote risk awareness in the organization.
- Participate in ad-hoc projects and other related responsibilities assigned from time to time (e.g. Liquidity stress testing, contingency funding plan.).
- Support the implementation of new Risk programmes and initiatives in Singapore/APAC whenever required.
- Ensure Risk policies, appetite are reviewed and updated to stay relevant (e.g. Outsourcing policy, Market & Liquidity Risk policies, formulation of Risk appetite).
- Assist with preparation of the Singapore Risk Management Committee and preparation of periodic reports for the relevant Risk and Business Committees.
- Assist Operational Risk Management activities across (but not limited to) business resiliency and recovery, outsourcing, process control reviews, deep dives, and materiality assessments.
- Provide risk advices, independent review and effective challenge on Risks relevant to the Business to ensure adherence to appetite (e.g. Risk exposures, limits & thresholds)
- Support the production of reports and perform monitoring of the Market and Liquidity risk profile of the Branch (e.g. LCR, stress testing results, FX/Asset/Liability gaps).
- Explain drivers of changes in the Risk Profile, document and escalate any breaches to the local, regional and global management according to the internal policies and procedures.
- Participate in the discussions around new products. Identify emerging risks and their potential mitigants.
- Conduct independent risk assessments as needed, and provide oversight and advice on risk self-assessments conducted by the business.
- Participate and facilitate responses to ad-hoc or scheduled queries (e.g. regulatory, internal/external audit) for the relevant Risk areas in scope.
- University/College Degree with experience in the financial industry.
- Extensive knowledge of Capital Market products, operational processes and experience in managing associated end-to-end Operational Risks.
- Experience in managing risks relating to foreign exchange, interest rate, liquidity, and other operational processes.
- Knowledge of trading and banking books risk management standards and regulations.
- Familiar with risk management quantitative measures of a trading activity (VaR, stressed VaR etc...) / balance sheet management and their related concepts and metrics (gap mismatch, liquidity coverage ratio, net stable funding ratio etc…).
- Experience with prior exposure to risk and compliance and a clear understanding of internal controls/governance and oversight across all 3 lines of defense.
- Ability to collaborate and maintain positive partnerships with business partners while at the same time remaining objective, with an ability to make an independent assessment of the risk environment and business challenges and work toward practical risk mitigation actions.
- Experience in leading Risk Management initiatives.
- Strong analytical and project management/organizational skills with the ability to drive assigned projects within the pre-defined deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, meeting participation and presentation/facilitation) with the ability to influence at senior levels and deal with difficult situations.
- Demonstrated ability to operate with flexibility, creativity, and a sense of urgency with a proven ability to manage in a changing business environment
- Ability to present at country risk committees and other forums.
- Knowledge of Visual Basic for Excel is a plus.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.