Director of Finance Model Control Function
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The cornerstone of Morgan Stanley’s risk management philosophy is the execution of risk-adjusted returns through prudent risk-taking that protects Morgan Stanley’s capital base and franchise. Risk Management protects the firm from exposure to losses resulting from defaults by our lending and trading counterparties.
Background on the Position
The role will reside within the Finance Division, under Global Corporate Controllers function. The Model Control Function team oversees the model inventory and end-user computing (EUC) tools for all Finance models globally, relevant policy, procedures and governance processes as it pertains to model risk controls and EUCs. In addition the team is responsible for tracking and reporting progress on model and EUC specific issues identified by regulators, internal audit and through independent model review.
This candidate will be exposed to model requirements across several U.S. and International regulatory requirements such as , including those that are used in CCAR/DFAST, Basel 2.5, Basel III, Advanced Approaches, Resolution and Recovery (?RRP?), CECIL, FRTB, etc.
This dynamic position offers the candidate an exceptional opportunity to help enhance the existing Model Control and EUC framework within the Finance organization. This is a unique opportunity to work across all risk stripes (credit, market, operational, liquidity and model risk) globally, provides close interaction with both model developers and independent model reviewers as well as interaction across business and functional areas (departments) across the firm. This high exposure role will provide the candidate a fast pace work environment with the ability to influence the Finance Model Control and EUC Control Frameworks.
The applicant should have a minimum of three years of experience at a financial institution or consulting firm, preferably in an analytical, compliance or regulatory function. Prior risk management, governance, regulatory, CCAR/DFAST, model risk and/or EUC experience would be a strong plus. The applicant should be interested in process oversight and management, as well as possess the technical aptitude to perform in-depth quantitative analysis. Work history should demonstrate strong attention to detail, execution and project management skills, the ability to influence and coordinate within cross-functional teams and manage multiple projects.
Primary Responsibilities will include:
- Identify and maintain inventory of all models and EUCs developed and used within Finance
- Monitor documentation status to ensure completion and manage broader model certification and exception process
- Support the execution of the model control and EUC frameworks for all Risk models and EUCs including appropriate governance, documentation standards and policies and procedures
- Prepare presentation materials for model committees and applicable regulatory exams and requests, ensuring accuracy and timely delivery
- Assist with the production of reporting for senior management related to Finance model risk
Skills Required (essential):
- Detail oriented with exceptional organizational skills
- Ability to work effectively on multiple projects under tight deadlines
- Advanced working knowledge of MS Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and SharePoint
- Superior analytical thinking and problem solving abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate with key stakeholders
- Intellectual curiosity with a focus on information sharing
- Leadership potential with strong relationship building skills
- Self-motivator and team player who brings a can-do approach
- Knowledge of the Finance organization
- Knowledge of Model Risk and/or Governance processes (Oversight and Controls)
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
Learn more about our culture and the opportunities for professional growth at Morgan Stanley in Glasgow on our LinkedIn page and Youtube channel.
Build a career with impact. Apply today.
Given the continued spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), all interviews will be conducted by phone or virtual connection to protect our candidates and employees.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.