Lead Associate, Market Conduct Enquiries
The salary range will be approximately 60,000 to 95,000 GBP plus a competitive benefits package and non-contributory pension.Background
At the FCA, we're creating a fair and more resilient financial system. We're establishing more transparent relationships between financial services and their customers, building trust in financial markets and protecting vulnerable consumers.
Market Oversight is responsible for overseeing primary and secondary market activity through its role under the listing, market abuse and short-selling regimes. Market Oversight aims to discharge these responsibilities in a way which is proportionate, risk-focused and forward-looking, through education of the market, and using a range of tools and techniques. Our work protects consumers and delivers market integrity by ensuring high standards of market practice and appropriate disclosure so our markets will function well.
The two Specialist Enquiries ("SE") teams sit within Market Conduct Enquiries ("MCE"), part of the Secondary Market Oversight Department, which has the primary responsibility for identifying and reviewing cases of potential market abuse, and refers the most serious cases to Enforcement.
The SE teams have a particular focus on equity insider dealing, and misconduct in the fixed income and commodities markets. A large part of this work is driven by Suspicious Transaction and Order Reports received from market participants.
A significant proportion of our work relates to insider dealing in equity-related securities. We are seeking to hire a senior person with deep experience of equity markets and/or investigations in this area to focus on and provide leadership in relation to this workstream. The role includes taking personal responsibility for difficult triage decisions and investigating the most complicated cases in this area.What does this job involve?
The key responsibilities of the post holder will be:
- Reviewing allegations of market abuse; conducting pre-Enforcement referral investigation and analysis.
- Working with Enforcement on formal investigations, gathering and analysing evidence, and providing technical support.
- Supporting management in decision-making, prioritisation and delegation of notifications of market abuse.
- Oversight/ownership of thematic workstreams and/or key areas of responsibility within the team.
- Using experience and expertise to support junior staff, and contribute to the Department's wider objectives.
- Opportunity to play a key role in delivering the FCA's strategy to fight market abuse.
- Opportunity to work as investigator, providing markets expertise on Enforcement cases.
- Development and mentoring of more junior staff.
As an Academy business we place great value on your learning and we offer world-class development opportunities which will assist you in achieving your career aspirations. Our Academy offers you a range of opportunities for personal and professional development, including our MSC in financial regulation, Advanced Managers programme, sponsored study and more.Which minimum, essential & desirable skills are required?Minimum
We're a signatory to the Government's Disability Confident scheme. This means that we guarantee an interview to any disabled candidates entering under the scheme, should they meet the minimum criteria for a role.
- Significant working experience of equity markets, including equity derivatives.
- Significant experience of investigating market abuse.
- Strong understanding of market abuse legislation.
- Excellent analytical and communications skills.
- Strong team player.
- Ability to explain complex issues to a variety of audiences.
- The ability to use sound judgement alongside a flexible and adaptable approach.
- Self-starter with proactive approach to acquiring skills and getting the job completed.
- Curiosity with an enthusiasm for learning and sharing knowledge.
- Familiarity with fixed income and commodities markets.
- Experience of working with and manipulating transaction reporting data.
- Familiarity with SMARTS and Exalytics.
As an inclusive employer, we are open to considering flexible working arrangements. Please contact our recruiter if you wish to apply for this role on a flexible basis.
The job family for this role is REG C1 and applications close on Monday 24th July.Selection process
Stage 1: On-line application, please submit your CV and answer to the following application question:
Why do you believe that you are suitable for this role? Please ensure that you specifically relate your answer to the criteria listed in the job advert, covering your relevant skills, technical knowledge and competencies. (Max 300 words)
Stage 2: Screening - your application will then be forwarded to the recruiting managers.
Stage 3: Selection & assessment process (could be subject to change) case study presentation & competency based interview.
Stage 4: Final competency based interview.
For external applications, please contact Shazna Chowdhuryif you have any questions about the role.
This role will be based in London, Canary Wharf, with a planned move in 2018 to a new site in The International Quarter, Stratford.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/75035586