Subject Matter Expert for Multiple Openings (Financial Services)
About Northern Trust
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
Working with Us
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. Build your career with us and apply today!
The job holder is responsible for the preparation of financial statements, schedule of investments, significant acquisitions and disposals and explanatory notes on the same (including preparation and review of tax reporting data due to tax agents), for mutual funds, hedge funds and/or fund of hedge fund clients.
Financial statements are prepared on a cyclical basis (for example; quarterly, semi-annual or annually) depending on the team in accordance with regulatory guidelines in the home country (for example: UK, Ireland, Luxembourg, Switzerland and U.S). The preparation is based on a set processes and procedures and the job holder will be required to adhere to these processes in completing day to day tasks.
Once financial statement is prepared, the jobholder will analyse and research for any discrepancies before sending to the home country for review. The analyst will correct any discrepancies/issues identified and communicated by the home country before closure. Due to the cyclical nature of the activities, it is anticipated that there will be peak periods of work and the job holder may be required to undertake additional working hours to ensure tasks are completed to the appropriate deadlines.
- Perform quality assurance checks on information received internally from other supporting functions. Close attention to detail required.
- Work closely with counterparts in home locations to resolve queries
- Create, maintain and update procedures/processes
- Ensure compliance with all controls and procedures outlined in the procedures manual and general company policies
- Review and sign off on reports, accounts and tax related work of other team members, providing constructive feedback.
- Work closely with the Team Leader and Manager for on-boarding new transitions and staff, as well as various processes/projects, e.g., being assigned to take the lead and/or assist to implement new processes in order to help the team be successful in its goals and KPIs
- Ensure all scheduled work is completed by agreed deadlines, checklists are signed and files are complete
- Identify and implement process improvements to reduce risk and develop efficiency of function
- Ensure that technology available is being fully utilized in the most efficient manner
- Ensure full and proper reporting and escalation of any operational issues
- Escalate and communicate any service delivery issues (for example, late reporting) as identified
- On-going review of daily controls and communications of suggested procedural changes
- Assist and help more junior team members in their development through continuous coaching and training. Helping decide on training needs for the team.
Experience and Qualifications:
- At least 4 years of financial statement preparation or financial reporting in an Audit Firm, or financial institution
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is highly desirable
- Background in regulatory / statutory reporting will be preferred
- Experience on transitions/consolidation of various systems and completing necessary reconciliations (preferred)
- Experience on tax and regulatory reporting (preferred)
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of accounting and regulatory concepts, financial instruments and products acquired through studies and related work experience
- Excellent desktop, IT and systems skills. Experience of Sungard InvestOne fund accounting platform or Confluence/FundARC Suite financial reporting systems advantageous. Knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word essential Knowledge of US GAAP, UK GAAP, Lux GAAP, Swiss GAAP & IFRS through studies and/or work experience (preferred)
- Knowledge of related systems: Bloomberg, Reuters (preferred)
- Excellent interpersonal skills, as this role requires interaction at all levels of the organisation and externally, fluent English necessary.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.