Lead Technical Accountant
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Lead Technical Accountant to join our team, reporting to the Controller. As a Lead Technical Accountant, you are responsible for providing technical accounting advice and guidance which includes evaluating and implementing new changes, requirements and improvements. You will also provide advice on the potential implications of any regulatory changes. In addition, you will lead all the technical accounting preparation for the team, advise the business arrangement review team and prepare accounting policies in line with accepted industry practices.
You are responsible for:
- Demonstrating basic to intermediate knowledge of complex financial accounting concepts
- Researching, evaluating and managing the implementation of new accounting standards as required
- Providing post-implementation support and training
- Working closely with other business functions to ensure that changes in accounting policies are implemented properly
- Improving the Foundation’s documentation of policies and procedures to enhance the quality of financial tracking and reporting
- Acting as a point of contact for external auditors on any technical accounting matters
- Preparing technical accounting papers/memos
- Supporting the production of the financial reports
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance + 4-6 yrs related work experience with Public Accounting Firms
- Proven track record of analyzing complex standards and producing accounting papers
- Demonstrated successful transition and implementation of policies
- Experience collaborating with Accounting, Finance, Legal and other key business partners is a must
- Ability to communicate technical concepts clearly and effectively, both written and orally
- Ability to multitask and work in a fast-paced, dynamic and changing environment while providing top level attention to detail, and ensuring work is complete
- Strong time management skills by planning and prioritizing work to accomplish all tasks.Ability to be proactive and take initiative by identifying needs and taking action prior to being asked
Qualities that are important to us:
- You enjoy collaborating with a range of stakeholders, and you value knowledge sharing, and collaboration
- You can communicate complex technical concepts in simple ways, tailored to each audience, to ensure everyone can engage, contribute and successfully adopt the practice
- You believe in the mission of the Foundation and are excited to contribute to support that mission
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and are able to adapt to a rapidly changing business environment
- You thrive in a results oriented culture that favors collaborative decision making
- You are a proactive problem solver and a self-starting individual
- You are a flexible and creative individual capable of managing multiple priorities and projects in a diverse environment
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.