Tax Apprentice - VAT
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions businesses need to navigate today’s changing world.
We’ll broaden your horizons
Working hard and working together, our Tax team thrives on keeping busy. They service our clients around the world with everything from day-to-day compliance with tax authorities to advice on international tax to transaction support on mergers and acquisitions. That diversity of work requires a diversity of talents. Tax attracts specialists for the most technically complex challenges, versatile thinkers for large clients with varied problems and brilliant innovators who create tomorrow’s bespoke solutions. The apprentice programme starts you off in compliance, immediately taking on important responsibilities including preparing corporate tax returns. You’ll take on more and more challenging work as you develop and will be able to specialise in a specific tax area or an audit group to really explore where your talents are most suited.
We’ll help you succeed
The Apprenticeship Programme is your opportunity to combine work experience with achieving your professional qualifications. We’ll provide the training in skills, behaviours and professional knowledge you’ll need not just to pass your exams, but also to become an exceptional BDO advisor. Our pass results are often up to 10% above the national average. This is a unique opportunity to qualify in a working environment with a network of exceptional colleagues who will be invested in helping you achieve your full potential.
BDO offer the Tax Pathway qualification on the Level 7 apprenticeship programme. In a dynamic, fast-moving industry, the demand for highly-qualified tax professionals has never been greater. The Tax Pathway provides a streamlined and efficient route to becoming a tax professional. The Tax Pathway enables you to achieve membership of both the ATT (Association of Taxation Technicians) and the CIOT (Chartered Institute of Taxation). The duration of this programme is 48 months.
As an Indirect Tax Trainee, you can expect to be involved in a wide variety of tasks covering both VAT compliance and VAT advisory. There is no daily routine and the nature of the role means it is varied and challenging. You will have regular client contact. In addition you will be required liaise directly with HMRC, Indirect Tax experts across the BDO network and colleagues in other sectors as and when required.
- Take responsibility for all client matters as directed as part of the wider team to service clients
- Prepare client VAT returns and other statistical VAT declarations
- Assist clients with various other VAT matters including but not limited to VAT registrations, De-registrations, disclosures to HMRC, Notification of Options to Tax etc
- Attend client meetings and prepare VAT advice as and when directed
- Preparation of engagement letters and client acceptance documentation
- Active adherence to budget and time pressures, bringing matters to the attention to the client project team
- Must demonstrate strong team playing skills in all client and internal management dealings
- Develop professional relationships with clients and within the firm
- Undertake any training or development co-ordinated by the Tax team
- Willing and open to take on tasks and challenges as and when directed
- Successfully study towards your professional qualification and, where relevant, corresponding apprenticeship
When you join us
When you join us, we’ll make your growth our priority. If you’re right for us, you’ll thrive in an environment built to help you succeed. We’re looking for someone with:
- Three A-levels or equivalent at A* to C excluding General Studies and Extended Projects (obtained or predicted)
- A* to C in Maths and English at GCSE/Scottish Standards or equivalent (non-UK qualifications also considered)
We’re in it together
At BDO, we believe that when our people feel valued and rewarded, their potential is unlimited. We offer highly competitive starting salaries and review remuneration packages regularly to ensure that our pay always positively reflects performance. As well as offering support with tuition and professional qualifications, we also provide the following benefits, as standard:
- 25 days’ holiday;
- access to a personal pension scheme, with matched employer contributions;
- life assurance cover;
- and income protection insurance.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.