Payroll and HR Officer
Contribute to the effective operation of the Personnel Department, with specific responsibility for supporting payroll operations. As time allows, the jobholder may also support other HR activities including where possible recruitment and HR administration. The payroll function relies on having at least two people knowledgeable and able to cover any specific area of operation at any time.
A leading, global financial services group and one of the largest banking institutions in the world.
- In conjunction with the Payroll supervisor, administer accurate monthly payroll operations for 6 payrolls across 3 entities and the Defined Benefit pensioner payroll. The expatriate payrolls are modified PAYE schemes (App 6 net to gross payrolls).
- Adapt and apply differing payroll policy, taking into account the backgrounds and individual pay policies for the various entities, including modified PAYE rules.
- Ensure all fixed and variable payroll elements are accurate each month and fully checked for payroll system calculation accuracy.
- Ensure absence is appropriately tracked and recorded and any payroll implications are identified and dealt with appropriately, e.g. sick pay entitlements, parental payments, unpaid leave, etc.
- Monitor ADP Managed Service, refer service requests and suggest ways of improving controls. Escalate any serious service issues to the CM, via the payroll supervisor.
- Support the payroll supervisor to ensure all payrollsareHMRC/PAYE compliant at all times, including:
- Statutory reporting (P11D/Appendix 6(Expatriate)/PSA items, Form 42, etc)
- Short Term Business Visitor Appendix 4 monitoring and compliance
- All tax and NI is paid away correctly (through third party payment arrangements) - checking gateway accounts and monitoring from time to time
- Help the payroll supervisor to develop and enhance payroll-reporting capability and provide cover for the monthly "business unit" payroll cost reporting.
- Share responsibility for liaising with accounting functions to ensure all aspects of cash book are reported for payroll purposes and both entities receive appropriate information for their own funding and accounting purposes.
- Arrange charge outs/reimbursement of cross entity costs for current General Manager to MUFG.
- Work closely with MUTB Accounts and Tax function to ensure all Branch expenses are reported and including in the payroll for tax purposes as appropriate.
- Take ownership for personal development, ensuring payroll knowledge is kept up to date at all times, including PAYE and developing knowledge of expatriate tax management.
- Contribute to accurate and up to date payroll manual/procedures.
- Maintain detailed records of temporary staff (where these records are not held in payroll). Process weekly invoices and keep records of costs and charges.
- Produce the monthly Loan Report for Head Office (using data from Accounts and Tax).
- Administer expense reimbursement for eye tests, DSE prescriptions, work from home equipment.
- Produce other expense reports for sign off for areas of Personnel cost, such as training, immigration fees, pension costs, vetting fees, medical expenses, etc.
- Administer year renewal of PMI scheme membership data, add new joiners and advise provider of leavers using portal.
- Update annual expatriate commuting allowance spreadsheet and implement changes each year (usually January).
- Provide cover for HR administrator in producing monthly organisation charts and report of resignation and recruitment.
- Keep departmental budget records updated from payment instructions.
- Use payroll journal and other reporting to update Personnel Expense budget on a monthly basis.
- Working with Accounts and Tax to process staff loans and ensure deductions are entered into payroll.
Qualifications: Good standard of secondary education with qualifications in Maths and English. CIIP qualified payroll professional. General HR administration experience also desirable.
Financial Services industry experience is preferred.
Payroll - PAYE tax rules:
High level of knowledge of PAYE and tax law relevant to both local UK domestic payrolls. The role encompasses expatriate payroll and training can be provided to develop skills in this area as required.
Ability to apply laws accurately and resolve tax compliance issues. Keep up to date with ever changing tax rules to ensure all aspects of tax reporting, etc is secure and accurate at all times.
Be fully conversant with tax rules relating to special circumstances, e.g. termination of employment ex-gratia payments.
Ability to support payroll activities in the absence of other HR member eg. loans administration, expense monitoring, etc
ADP iHCM: Experience desirable
Private pension schemes: General awareness of private pension schemes. Experience with DB scheme administration is desirable.
UK financial services regulation: Ability to pick up procedural items. Training and support can be provided to expand role responsibilities to include additional areas of HR admin.
Looking to pay between £38,00-£45,000 with benefits.