Manager, Transfer Agency
Responsible for managing a team of operations associates in the North America registered Transfer Agency division and delivering exceptional servicing for our client’s mutual funds as well as common and collective vehicles. In this highly visible role, you’ll manage oversight of daily operations, including traditional investor servicing for direct investors, dealer and intermediary servicing for indirect investors, and lead a team of individuals in primarily in Chicago, Illinois.
The role requires a results-driven leader with experience in transfer agency operations and people management complemented by a strong orientation in client servicing, problem solving, strategic planning, and project management.
The role will liaise with a wide-network of stakeholders, including Technology, Product, Fund Governance, Relationship Management, Sales, Audit and Compliance, as well as external Clients and Industry participants.
- Deliver exceptional service to internal and external clients in accuracy and timeliness of execution as well as client and investor servicing.
- Ensure the daily and periodic tasks within areas of responsibility are managed to completion.
- Utilize KPIs and metrics to assess operational effectiveness, measure accuracy and improve performance.
- Maintain strong control environment, maximizing process consistency and efficiency.
- Develop team of analysts and consultants, striving toward high-level of employee growth and engagement.
- Embed a culture of continuous improvement. Analyze current processes and make technological or operational enhancements to improve efficiency within the group.
- Actively communicate with Transfer Agency partners to discuss servicing related issues or product offerings; participate in functional service meetings.
- Ensure operational risk is managed effectively across the function and policies /controls are adequately designed to ensure compliance.
- Drive tactical and strategic projects, earn buy-in from all stakeholders, and deliver high quality results within stated timeframes.
- Develop goals and priorities based on the direction set for the team; drives execution to ensure that objectives are met.
- Display a balanced, cross-functional perspective, liaising with the business as well as IT, and external vendors to improve efficiency, effectiveness and productivity.
- Strive toward proactive process management, continuous improvement efforts and positive relationships.
- Support the onboarding and implementation of new business and ensure operational readiness to provide exceptional service.
- Provide leadership and guidance to the team regarding new business or emerging practices within the department.
- Foster a high performing team environment to ensure staff are motivated, challenged and appropriately rewarded
- Attract, develop and retain key talent across the operations ensuring appropriate succession plans are in place for key roles
- Value diversity in hiring, promotion and developmental initiatives to promote a diverse workforce
- Conduct the performance management process, identifies training and development needs, and establishes performance standards for the division/unit, drives a standard of excellence and accountability
- A College or University degree and/or relevant proven work experience is required
- 8+ years of relevant Transfer Agency experience including leadership positions
- Proven experience in managing a medium scale operations team
- Familiarity with transfer agency core applications and processing requirements.
- Strong technical knowledge of U.S. mutual funds industry and global financial markets
- Possess working knowledge of 40 Act rules governing Transfer Agency, and other regulations such as FATCA, GDR, KYC/AML, 1099 tax reporting, and state escheatment rules
Skills & Experience
- Superior people leadership/management skills with a proven track record in managing large teams both in-location and remotely to successfully deliver complex programs
- Ability to delegate, with appropriate controls to ensure effective running of the team
- Client servicing mindset and ability to instill a client centric culture across the operations; adept at strengthening relationships with key clients
- Agile, adaptable, and able to manage numerous competing activities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrable ability to interact with senior management and clients showing in-depth knowledge of TA
- Highly PC literate with excellent IT skills (e.g. Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
Working with Us:
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. Build your career with us and apply today.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.