Non-Executive Director/Trustee - The Midland Academies Trust
Non-executive director/ Trustee role
This is an opportunity to contribute to the community within Warwickshire and Leicestershire by becoming an Academy Ambassador. The Midland Academies Trust seeks two new non-executive directors/trustees, with skills in education or finance, to join its board. Board meetings are usually held on rotation at the trust's academies and at North Warwickshire and South Leicestershire College in Nuneaton; currently, however, meetings are held virtually via Microsoft Teams.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at academy trusts throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
The Midland Academies Trust is a multi-academy trust (MAT) established in 2010 by North Warwickshire and South Leicestershire College, which sponsors the academies for which the trust is responsible.
The trust operates in areas of significant deprivation and comprises four schools - currently three secondary schools in Nuneaton and one secondary school in Earl Shilton, Leicestershire.
The board seeks two business leaders with expertise in
- Education Leadership/Education Sector OR
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 - 24 months:
- strengthen governance and ensure effective succession planning;
- improve GCSE outcomes at all academies;
- deliver the trust's medium-term business plan, which runs from 2020/21 to 2022/23;
- continue to embed a shared knowledge-based curriculum, across all subject areas, in all academies in the trust.
The trust also seeks to implement a growth strategy which maintains a balanced and viable portfolio, in addition to developing an innovative trust-wide post-16 offering. It seeks to work with the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) and other partners to develop a robust business case to support the re-development of the Hartshill School and to develop a strategic estates strategy.
Board governance in education is a strategic, 'eyes on, hands off' commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours' time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role.
All roles are pro bono.
People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
A full trust specification is available at https://www.academyambassadors.org/board-opportunities/midland-academies-trust-0
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.