Accounting & Business Advisory Supervisor
Overall job purpose
The Accounting and Business Advisory Group (ABA) are responsible for the preparation of accounts for clients at all levels from large corporates to SME’s. Much work is done for the client on the year end statutory accounts in advance of audit and therefore a strong understanding of Financial Reporting Standards, consolidation technique, is essential. Experience of IFRS and FRS 101 would be desirable, but not essential.
You will be required to profitably supervise a portfolio of clients, working with a team of staff to ensure the highest possible standards of client service at all times and to take an active role in the growth of the office through identification of opportunities and involvement in the business development process.
Ideally, the successful candidate will be qualified or part-qualified either as ACA or ACCA and be able to demonstrate good experience in financial reporting.
- To ensure that jobs are completed to the highest standard, within the agreed internal budget for the job and to discuss all material points arising on the assignment with the manager / partner and client.
- To plan assignments in accordance with the firm’s standard procedures and confirm arrangements with the client, including likely costs and billing arrangements.
- To take the hands on supervisory role on assignments as and when required.
- To brief junior staff on the client’s business and the pre-assignment instructions, to supervise and control the completion of work, and to undertake ‘on the job’ training and provide feedback where necessary.
- To implement the firm’s review and completion procedures, to attend the final meeting with the client and to ensure that the client subsequently receives the final accounts, management letter and adjustment to opening balances on a timely basis.
- To liaise with the client throughout the year and to practice the principles of excellent client service at all times.
- To ensure that appropriate liaison takes place with all other departments, mainly audit and tax, and that all potential client needs are identified and serviced accordingly.
- To develop a detailed knowledge of the firm’s specialist services, actively look for opportunities to cross sell, and to undertake special work in response to client needs where appropriate.
- To closely monitor the practice management system reports, to ensure the profitable recoverability of work in progress, and to bill clients on a timely basis.
- To maintain an advanced level of technical knowledge through appropriate reading and courses, and to fulfil any development or training requirements.
- To support the training and development of the staff within the ABA department.
- To be involved in any other administrative departmental and office issues as deemed appropriate.
Key Performance Measures
- Delivery of high quality financial statements and overall service to clients
- Deadlines are met
- Budgets achieved
- Adherence to the firm’s procedures
- Flexibility towards hours of work and tasks performed including assisting other staff e.g. dealing with urgent tasks at short notice when required
- To keep confidential any information obtained concerning the business affairs of the Firm, its staff and clients
- Portray the Firm in a professional manner through appearance, conduct and attitude
Personal and professional qualities
The role requires:
- A good understanding of UK financial reporting requirements (experience of IFRS would be desirable, but not essential)
- Experience of working on audit-sized clients
- Ability to demonstrate commercial awareness and to add value
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Well-developed people skills to relate to clients and colleagues
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Strong accounts production skills
- Candidates must be part or fully ACA or ACCA qualified or have significant relevant experience.
- Knowledge and experience of working within an Audit department.
Diversity and Inclusion at RSM
At RSM, inclusion and diversity are central to our values. We have an authentic focus on intentional inclusion, enabling our people to feel they can bring their whole self to work and ensuring everyone feels supported, respected and confident to make a valuable contribution.
To find out more, please visit our Diversity and Inclusion page on our Careers Website.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.