Consultant, Compliance (Investment Advisor)
Northern Trust Asset Management – Business Overview
Northern Trust is one of the world’s largest asset management firms with $1.2 trillion in assets under management across a range of investment strategies. Thoughtful investors worldwide are making Northern Trust their asset manager of choice because they develop the answers clients need for today’s challenging world. They have a level of client dedication and collaboration clients can’t find anywhere else, and are anchored by renowned integrity and stability. Their investment process combines exhaustive research and vigilant risk management to provide a solid foundation for investing, and they also have an integrated technology platform and processing infrastructure that work around the clock and around the globe.
This person will work closely with the various CCOs in NTAM, as well as internal and external counsel, to proactively administer and maintain a comprehensive adviser compliance program.
- Provide a center of expertise in relation to all aspects of US regulation which impact the advisory business.
- Advise and assist senior leadership in carrying out their governance and oversight responsibilities in compliance with prevailing regulation, applicable laws, policy and best practice. Keep the business up to date on developments or changes that may affect their area, and work with them to implement effective, innovative solutions.
- Interface with internal business units, risk management, and legal functions, as well as enterprise-level constituents. Assist the Adviser CCOs in administering and maintaining a world class, comprehensive compliance program.
- Serve as a member of various oversight committees.
- Maintain an open and cooperative relationship with regulators, including ensuring the timely and accurate filing of regulatory documents.
- Promote a positive compliance culture through communication and oversight of regulatory responsibilities at all levels and developing strong working relationships with the business.
- Serve as a member of various oversight committees.
- Participate in and contribute to the decision making process on selected commercial projects as the need and opportunity arises.
- Extensive knowledge of the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, ERISA, FINRA, and the Securities Act of 1933.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree or JD preferred.
- Regulatory experience a plus.
- 10+ years as a compliance professional, including at least 5 years supporting a compliance program that includes the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 requirements.
- Experience with common and collective funds preferable.
- Ability to communicate persuasively and with confidence, professionalism and authority at all levels of the business. Further ability to effectively present to a board of directors and executive officers within asset management.
- Experience working in a bank owned asset manager with both internal and direct distribution channels.
- Sound judgement, with a well-developed sense for risk identification, assessment and management.
- Broad investment product experience including multi-asset and multi-manager solutions.
- Analytical and communication skills required to review laws/regulations, assess their impact, and work with the business unit to implement any necessary policies, procedures, processes, and controls.
- A flexible, tolerant and collaborative approach towards the business and a desire to work in a diverse, yet conservative culture.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, with demonstrated ability to effectively manage the relationships at the executive level. Proven experience of advising, negotiating, influencing and collaborating with others in the decision making process across all levels of the organization.
- Proven experience of establishing effective, robust and integrated compliance programs.
- Track record of collaborating with executive management and staff to establish and improve operational structures that support business growth while complying with firm policies and regulations.
- Work with legal counsel to provide for consistency with applicable regulations.
- Experience interacting with regulators and auditors.
- Must be a self-starter, able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Highest level of integrity.
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With over 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
Working with Us:
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why we are honored to receive the following awards in 2021:
- Gender Equality Index Member, Bloomberg
- Top Financial & Banking Company, Black EOE Journal, Hispanic Network Magazine, Professional WOMAN'S Magazine
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of America’s best banks and most sustainable companies! Build your career with us and apply today.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.