Senior Consultant, Tax Compliance
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
As a Northern Trust employee (Partner), you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve.
Northern Trust is committed to working with and providing adjustments to individuals with health conditions and disabilities. If you would benefit from adjustments for any part of the employment process, please inform the recruiter to discuss your individual requirements.
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
Responsible for providing comprehensive, in-depth consulting and leadership to the Corporation and the business units on the tax withholding, tax information reporting, and related client documentation requirements associated with the provision of banking, asset servicing, fund administration, asset management and wealth management services in multiple jurisdictions. Provides guidance on emerging regulatory tax requirements and tax compliance issues. Assists in developing, and subsequently with oversight and governance of, the Global Tax Compliance Program.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Provides comprehensive, in-depth consulting and leadership to the Corporation and the business units on the tax withholding, tax information reporting, and related client documentation requirements associated with the provision of banking, asset servicing, fund administration, asset management and wealth management services in multiple jurisdictions
- Assists in the development, oversight and governance of the Global Tax Compliance Program
- Acts as a tax subject matter expert within the Risk and Compliance function
- Reviews, interprets and disseminates information to Corporate Compliance and the business units regarding current and proposed laws and regulations
- Consults with partners regarding daily decisions that could pose tax compliance risk and/or conflict with existing tax policies and procedures
- Consults with business units on development of new and enhanced products and tax-related services, and identifies potential tax compliance risk. Develops solutions, policies and procedures that mitigate risk
- Interacts with tax authorities and other regulators, and with internal and external auditors as needed. Represents the Corporation on tax-related working groups in the financial services industry.
- Proactively identifies tax compliance changes and recommends alternative practices to the appropriate business units and their related tax function areas
- Responsible for direct interaction with different committees and/or management. Establishes and maintains relationships with key partners; provides education and advice on policy/guidelines; and participates in resolving related tax compliance issues
- Operates independently; has in-depth knowledge of business unit / function. Role is balanced between high level operational execution and development, and execution of strategic direction of business function activities
- Carries out activities that are large in scope, cross-functional and technically difficult
- Strategic in developing, implementing and administering programs within business unit tax functional areas
The successful candidate will benefit from having:
- Prior exposure to financial services tax regulation
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Experience working with tax authorities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are required
- Knowledge of U.S. tax withholding requirements, including the Internal Revenue Services’ Qualified Intermediary (QI) program is preferred
- Knowledge of the U.S. Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) and the OECD Common Reporting Standard (CRS) is preferred
Working with Us:
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. In return, we will support you with your personal and career goals in a number of ways:
- Financial – Life Assurance, Disability Plan, Pension/ Gratuity, Annual Pay Review
- Work Life Balance – Flexible Work Options, Incremental Annual Leave, Community Volunteer Days
- Health & Wellbeing – Private Medical Insurance, Active Sports & Social clubs (lunchtime and after-work groups), Employee Assistance Program
- Professional Development – Clear Career Path, Education Assistance, Recognition Programme, NT University (wide range of online, virtual & in-house training options) and employee-led Business Resource Councils dedicated to diversity and inclusion initiatives.
We hope you’re excited about the role and the opportunity to work with us.
We value an inclusive workplace and understand flexibility means different things to different people.
Apply today and talk to us about your flexible working requirements and together we can achieve greater.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.