Senior Compliance Consultant - Brokerage
Who we are
Our core principles of service, expertise and integrity have guided us from our start as a Chicago bank in 1889 to our position as a multi-faceted global financial services provider. Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally.
Our focus on employee work/life balance, diversity, career mobility and unique opportunities are among the reasons we’ve been named one of America's Best Large Employers and recognized as an employer of choice around the world.
What we do
Northern Trust’s international business has grown dramatically over the last decade. Some of our largest clients are located in Asia and Australia, which represents a rapidly growing client base for the company. Our intricate understanding of the region allows us to provide unique insights and strategic perspectives to our clients. Currently, we have client offices in Beijing, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo and Kuala Lumpur.Northern Trust is proud to serve the Australian community with global capabilities, meaningful insights and exceptional service. Institutional clients across Asia Pacific have relied on Northern Trust for effective solutions and ethical guidance across asset servicing and asset management since 1986.
What you will do
You will be responsible for overseeing the review, interpretation, and dissemination of current and proposed laws and regulations relevant to the Australia Brokerage Business. Provide guidance and advice to partners regarding Compliance risks and participate in the establishment of business development strategies to minimize risk and ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
Sydney Brokerage Compliance forms part of the APAC Capital Markets Compliance team, which sits within the Global Compliance and Corporate Risk function and is entrusted with ensuring identification, risk assessment and monitoring of all our regulatory obligations in the locations we operate.
This role is in the second line of defence and will assist in the implementation of the Northern Trust Compliance framework. The Compliance function is responsible for ongoing oversight and reporting on regulatory obligations to our senior compliance and business management.
This role supports the Australia Brokerage business in relation to all aspects of the compliance programme including understanding and interpreting regulatory requirements and leading relevant regulatory engagements. This role requires monitoring, testing, assurance, policy drafting, training and other duties as assigned.
This role will also require strong stakeholder management and the ability to consult with and advise senior management on an independent basis.
This role will report to the APAC Head of Capital Markets Compliance.
- Provide compliance support to the APAC Brokerage team in Australia, providing input and advice to the business and management partners regarding regulatory requirements and market best practice
- Manage the monitoring and surveillance program for the Australia brokerage business
- Represent compliance in relevant governance forums and committees, analysing, preparing and submitting relevant reports, data and documentation as required
- Evaluate existing and proposed regulatory requirements and expectations against existing processes and control to identify and escalate potential gaps or regulatory risks, including providing recommendations on procedural changes if necessary
- Review and provide feedback on regulatory consultation papers or other guidance to ASIC or applicable industry bodies where relevant and applicable
- Communicate, evaluate and assist with implementation of regulatory changes where required
- Prepare and respond to regulatory requests and queries.
- Advise on Compliance programs and applicable laws, regulations, rules, standards, risks and documentation including keeping partners and management informed of developments or changes that may affect their area
- Review compliance program against existing regulatory best practices and new developments
- Implement and embed the global and regional Compliance Program, including monitoring, testing, and assurance frameworks and executing against action plans
- Maintain and execute local compliance programs related to individual licensing, complaints, breaches, errors and investigations
- Work in partnership with risk, compliance and control team colleagues regionally / globally, including sharing of information and knowledge
- Take responsibility for Australia Brokerage policies and procedures for the regional brokerage business, including those for internal Compliance use
- Develop and conduct training as required
- Develop, execute and deliver compliance related projects
As of December 31, 2020, Northern Trust Corporation had:
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018. In Australia, we are actively involved in many ways with both community and diversity organisations, which includes charity participation days. For families we offer a very generous parental leave scheme, and all staff have access to subsidised health insurance if they choose.
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. Build your career with us and apply today!
For a private discussion please contact Gez Williams on +61 3 9935 8204
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.