Payroll Senior Manager
Chiene + Tait is an award-winning chartered accountancy firm of over 140 staff and 13 partners, with an enviable 130-year heritage. As we continue to grow and develop, we pride ourselves on quality and client focus, together with offering excellent professional development. Headquartered in the heart of Edinburgh’s city centre, we have a further office in Inverness.
We are looking for a Senior Manager to lead our payroll team. This role is based in our Edinburgh office, however our team are all currently working remotely, and this is likely to continue for the foreseeable future until the Government guidelines permit a return to the office. Reporting directly to the Managing Partner, you will oversee the payroll service for our clients, working together with a Payroll Manager and a team of 8.
This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated individual to continue to deliver and develop our payroll service, in what is an exciting time for the payroll profession. Our aim is, at all times, to deliver an exceptional, high quality, payroll service whilst maintaining excellent client relationships. We continue to grow and develop the function with a focus on process improvement and efficiency, maximising our use of technology. We process payroll for approximately 300 clients across a variety of sectors with size varying from 1 employee up to 350 employees.
The successful applicant should have proven professional payroll experience, preferably within a payroll bureau at a management level.
What you will do:
- Lead the payroll department, working with a Payroll Manager and overseeing a team of 8.
- Ensure the payroll service is delivered timely, accurately and in line with client service levels and statutory requirements.
- With the Payroll Manager, manage and delegate the workflow within the department.
- Act as a skilled people manager who can coach and develop a team.
- Ensure effective policies, procedures and systems are in place to ensure high standards. Make recommendations for improved practices and implement improvements.
- Maintain expert knowledge and proactively identify upcoming changes that will impact payroll. Ensure knowledge is shared in the team.
- Resolve complex payroll queries and issues as they arise.
- Regular communication with clients to enhance relationships and improve service.
- Drive business development initiatives, win new payroll clients and promote the firm generally.
- Monitor and manage department performance including the management of fees and work in progress. Suggest methods to improve profitability of client work and work with the Partners to achieve improvements.
- Responsibility for the BACS relationship and for submitting BACS files for the firm.
What we are looking for:
- Proven professional payroll experience, preferably with a payroll bureau at management level
- Experience of managing people successfully.
- You will have experience of managing multiple payroll clients.
- An accountable leader who acts as a role model for the team.
- Ability to continually improve work and develop solutions to problems.
- Evidence of a positive attitude of mind to work and to clients required.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and self-motivation whilst managing a team.
- Proven ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- An excellent communicator with strong writing skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Good organisation and time management skills.
- Commercial awareness with the ability to develop new business opportunities.
- Confident at liaising with managers and business leaders.
- Strong IT skills, with working knowledge of payroll software and ideally experience of Iris (Star) payroll.
How to apply:
If you have the skills and experience required for this role, submit your CV and covering letter. You should include in the covering letter why you are applying for this role along with your salary expectations and where applicable, your notice period.
Please note that like many organisations, we have adapted our working practices to ensure the safety of our team and our clients. Our teams are all currently working remotely, and this is likely to continue for the foreseeable future.