Accountant (General Ledger)
Position: Accountant (General Ledger)
Location: Penang (Malaysia-HQ)
Application Deadline: 20 April 2021
Type of contract: 3 years fixed term contract
Language(s) required: English (native/fluent writing and oral skills)
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
WorldFish is an international, non-for-profit research organization that works to reduce hunger, malnutrition and poverty by improving fisheries and aquaculture. With a 45-years track record of leading-edge science, WorldFish generates research evidence and innovations to inform sustainable practices and inclusive policies that enable better livelihoods and healthier diets for millions of poor people, particularly women, who depend on fish for food, nutrition and income. WorldFish is a member of CGIAR , the world’s largest global partnership on agriculture research and innovation for a food secure future. Headquartered in Penang, Malaysia and with regional offices across Africa, Asia and the Pacific, WorldFish leads the cross-disciplinary CGIAR Research Program (CRP) on Fish Agri-Food Systems (FISH).
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Finance function is structured along functional lines with the aim of embedding the ‘three lines of defence’ model at its heart, clearly separating the financial control (first line) and risk and assurance (second line) functions, ensuring the integrity of our results and the strength of our controls. The post holder will report to the Accounts Manager (General Ledger).
The Accountant (General Ledger) will ensure financial transactions and accounting information in the General Ledger complies with accounting policies and reporting practices prescribed by the CGIAR and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
The Successful Candidate will
- Perform month end close activities including but not limited to journal posting and system checking to ensure all pending workflow transaction being approved.
- Support year-end close such as but no limited to coordinate the goods receipts PO report for the yearly accrual process.
- Coordinate with country teams on the preparation and finalization of donor receivable/payable balances.
- Ensure proper accounting entries made into system especially donor and partner account.
- Performs reconciliation on balance sheet.
- Performs asset management including but not limited to asset capitalization, depreciation, tagging, disposal/transfer and annual verification.
- Develops and maintains good relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Performs any other reasonable duties as may be required from time to time.
This job might be for you if you have the below skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or similar and a qualified Chartered Accountant (ACCA, CIMA or equivalent). Part-qualification may be considered with strong work experience.
- At least 2 years of relevant working experience (GL or audit).
- Proficient in English language, both written and oral.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Excel functionalities.
- Working knowledge of ERP software system.
- Has good organizational and analytical skills.
- Good team player.
- Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- A university degree in accounting or member of a professional accountancy body (e.g. ACCA, CIMA, CPA, MIA, MICPA).
Salary & Benefits
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position with salary circa MYR 3,800 per month. WorldFish offers a competitive remuneration package including (but not limited to) insurance coverage for staff and eligible dependents, 15% employer provident fund contribution, paid leave and others.
The position will be based in Penang, Malaysia. Interviews are expected to be held by middle of April 2021. Only shortlisted candidate will be notified and expected to attend the virtual interview session. The successful candidate should be available to commence as soon as possible for an initial of three (3) years fixed term contract, with the possibility of contract renewal depending on performance and funding situation.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information online latest by 20 April 2021:
- A cover letter including a 1-page (max) description of why you are an ideal candidate for this role referring to the key responsibilities and what you would bring to the role;
- A current curriculum vitae;
- Names and contacts (telephone and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following category: direct supervisor, internal peer and/or direct report.
Screening will start immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applicants for WorldFish positions, we appreciate all interest, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Our Gender, Diversity and Inclusion Commitment
WorldFish has seven offices across Asia, Africa and the Pacific, with more than 400 staff and 27 nationalities who contribute to a dynamic multicultural work environment.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity and inclusion is valued and we seek to have gender balance in the organization. We aim to also seek balance across other diversity dimensions.
People in WorldFish are treated equally irrespective of gender, ethnicity/race, national or social origin, disability, religion, political affiliation, age, family size, marital status or any other form of personal identity.
We are an equal opportunities employer and strongly encourage qualified women and men from developing nations to apply.